You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-12 00:39:25

linuxguy0481

Just installed Arch Linux now problems configuring Xorg

The install was successful. I have been using the Raiden's Realm install guide instead of the official Arch install guide. I find that its more of a hold handing than the official install guide. Here is the link by the way of what I am talking about:

http://www.raiden.net/articles/how_to_i … via_ftp/9/

Also these are the laptop specifications I have installed Arch Linux on;

http://www2.shopping.com/xPF-Toshiba-To … sor-2-4GHz

I recently upgraded the RAM to 1.5 gigs and will be upgrading it to 2 gigs soon.

Everything was fine and dandy until I got towards the end. I typed in startx and it worked for me. I saw the TWM graphical screen. Then I went on to the rest of the instructions. On making a copy of your xorg.conf file adding keyboard layout and keyboard input. I did not add any more lines to the file. I then exited it out. Saved everything when it asked me too. I tried to startx again from the CLI. Immediately after I hit enter the console disappears and the screen goes black. I waited for the TWM to appear but nothing. I was forced to restart and see if that helped but nothing either. I have the latest packages by the way. I am not sure on what I did to be honest with you.

I am not sure what to do at this point and I really don't want to start from scratch. Took me a good while to get to this point. Can anybody help me out with this?

Can anybody send me a good link to install KDEMod for a noob like me? I want to be able to start the computer and ask for my name and password in the KDE desktop environment.
Thank you.

#2 2009-06-12 01:49:50

kermana

Re: Just installed Arch Linux now problems configuring Xorg

have you tried the  "Xorg -configure" command? Seems like you have an intel graphics chip so if I  were you I would make sure xf86-video-intel is installed first. And you may try checking the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file for more clues.

Last edited by kermana (2009-06-12 01:56:08)

#3 2009-06-12 02:04:10

Ghost1227
Forum Fellow
Website

have you tried without any xorg.conf?

.:[My Blog] || [My GitHub]:.

#4 2009-06-12 04:15:01

linuxguy0481

Ghost1227 wrote:

No I haven't. How do I do that without xorg.conf? In regards to the last post I did install the Intel drivers. Since the computer is kinda old I had to install the legacy option it gave me. Thanks I will have to check the log file too.

I just hope I don't have to start from scratch again. Everything was going good until this roadblock.

#5 2009-06-12 04:19:27

Ghost1227
Forum Fellow
Website

linuxguy0481 wrote:
Ghost1227 wrote:

No I haven't. How do I do that without xorg.conf?

Just remove (or move) the existing xorg.conf. When it fails to find one, xorg will attempt to figure it out on its own. That's the only way I could get X working on my desktop.

.:[My Blog] || [My GitHub]:.

#6 2009-06-12 05:19:04

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Make sure you start hal before X when starting without an xorg.conf!

#7 2009-06-12 05:32:42

windtalker

I dunno if you configured the intel driver or not as you didn't really say.
xorg.conf is already configured to run the vesa driver by default if I'm not mistaken and that may be why startx worked once.
Whatever changes you made to your xorg.conf hosed it.
I would follow the instructions for configuring you intel driver from the Arch wiki.
The link for kdemod is in the beginners guide.

Last edited by windtalker (2009-06-12 05:40:03)

#8 2009-06-12 05:40:31

stryder

Try the "no xorg.conf" way first. As root,

mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.orig (or whatever)
/etc/rc.d/hal start (or restart)
su - user
startx

#9 2009-06-12 07:32:38

SpeedVin

When option with no xorg.conf fails you can try hwd ;-)

Shell Scripter | C/C++/Python/Java Coder | ZSH

#10 2009-06-12 07:37:16

r00t_ninja

from the arch linux beginners guide: Note:  Some users have found after the upgrade to Xorg 1.6 that this test fails (no hollow X appears and no capacity for cursor movement is enabled), but this does not indicate a problem with the installation of X. You may want to double check by running the next test in this guide.

the next test: do the command: nano ~/.xinitrc (on your normal user)
and type this into the file :

#!/bin/sh
#
# ~/.xinitrc
#
# Executed by startx (run your window manager from here)
#
# exec wmaker
# exec startkde
# exec icewm
# exec blackbox
# exec fluxbox
#
exec xterm

exit nano and run "xinit"

Last edited by r00t_ninja (2009-06-12 07:39:59)

#11 2009-06-13 04:32:38

linuxguy0481

r00t_ninja wrote:

from the arch linux beginners guide: Note:  Some users have found after the upgrade to Xorg 1.6 that this test fails (no hollow X appears and no capacity for cursor movement is enabled), but this does not indicate a problem with the installation of X. You may want to double check by running the next test in this guide.

#!/bin/sh
#
# ~/.xinitrc
#
#
# exec wmaker
# exec startkde
# exec icewm
# exec blackbox
# exec fluxbox
#
exec xterm

Thank you for letting me know about that. I'm so grateful for you telling me this. I will try this out and see how it goes. I will post my results later on.

#12 2009-06-13 08:16:14

DarksideEE7

linuxguy0481 wrote:
r00t_ninja wrote:

#!/bin/sh
#
# ~/.xinitrc
#
#
# exec wmaker
# exec startkde
# exec icewm
# exec blackbox
# exec fluxbox
#
exec xterm

Thank you for letting me know about that. I'm so grateful for you telling me this. I will try this out and see how it goes. I will post my results later on.

I'm also experiencing the same results.  Instead of editing .xinitrc for your user name and running startx, just try running it as root without any xorg.conf.  Most likely you will be able to run the bare X with xorg configuring itself.  I'm trying to configure a xorg.conf by methods other than:
Xorg -configure
because when I test it my locks and I have to restart.  You can get away with running without a xorg.conf pemanently if need be..............I'm running kdemod (I've run kde vanilla as well) with compositing and font aa on without any issues.

I'm currently running the xf86-video-intel-driver-legacy  on my eee pc with the 945GME chip, as the latest driver will cause graphical corruption with compositing enabled. 
You supposedly can configure xorg.conf using a tool called hwd (as mentioned above), however I can't find it in any of the repos using pacman.  Go figure.

Last edited by DarksideEE7 (2009-06-13 08:19:32)

#13 2009-06-13 15:50:54

luna-w

DarksideEE7 wrote:

Most likely you will be able to run the bare X with xorg configuring itself.  I'm trying to configure a xorg.conf by methods other than:
Xorg -configure
because when I test it my locks and I have to restart.  You can get away with running without a xorg.conf pemanently if need be..............I'm running kdemod (I've run kde vanilla as well) with compositing and font aa on without any issues.

I'm currently running the xf86-video-intel-driver-legacy  on my eee pc with the 945GME chip, as the latest driver will cause graphical corruption with compositing enabled. 
You supposedly can configure xorg.conf using a tool called hwd (as mentioned above), however I can't find it in any of the repos using pacman.  Go figure.

Sometimes if you have udev handling your input devices (keyboards, mice, etc) it causes X to lock up. At least, that's the problem I personally ran into, though I forget the exact details of what I did to fix it. :S

Also, hwd isn't supported any longer, but if you want to install it it can still be found in AUR.

#14 2009-06-13 19:18:53

DarksideEE7

luna-w wrote:
DarksideEE7 wrote:

Most likely you will be able to run the bare X with xorg configuring itself.  I'm trying to configure a xorg.conf by methods other than:
Xorg -configure

Sometimes if you have udev handling your input devices (keyboards, mice, etc) it causes X to lock up. At least, that's the problem I personally ran into, though I forget the exact details of what I did to fix it. :S

Also, hwd isn't supported any longer, but if you want to install it it can still be found in AUR.

Yea I got the pkgbuild from there and installed it along with dependencies. 

I'll look into removing input device management from udev......thanks for the info, that may actually be it.

Board footer