You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-15 05:33:06

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

[SOLVED] How do I change smb network (Uni network) password?

At my university, we are required to log on to the (windows-based) network for some of the supplementary services, such as shared drives and a personal 'student drive' for our own storage. Internet connection, on the other hand, is simply a matter of plugging in the LAN cable without any authentication required.

Anyway, I can mount the shared drives and the student drive fine using cifs, but I have to supply a username and password. Also, the networking team requires that this password be changed every three months.

The net effect of this is that I have to login to windows every three months to change this password. At the login prompt, when the time is up for my previous password a dialog box will appear asking whether I want to change my password, I'll input the old and new ones, and I'll be done.

My question is, is it possible for me to change the password from within my arch install? I don't like booting into windows at all, if I can help it (for one, it restarts my uptime, which can go pretty long if the kernel doesn't update). I'm aware that this is probably not enough information, so a preliminary question, what type of network am I running, and how do I find that out?

Edit: Clarified on the subject.

Last edited by ngoonee (2009-06-16 01:25:46)

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#2 2009-06-16 01:25:35

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] How do I change smb network (Uni network) password?

Ah, in the end it was embarassingly easy to sudo smbpasswd -U $USER -r DOMAIN_CONTROLLER

My main problem was I did not know what the domain name was, had to refer to a windows pc to see that. This is solved.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer