You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-13 05:46:39

unregistered

qn about NETWORKS=() and AUTO_NETWORKS in rc.conf

1) what would be the difference between them? the wiki didn't say much about how AUTO_NETWORKS work

2)does the NETWORKS=() try to successively connect to each profile in the list?( e.g. it tries to connect to network1 and if it fails or after timeout it tries network2 in the list and so on)

3)If I want my wireless adapter(s) to connect on startup to certain preferred networks ONLY IF they are available, how should I go about doing it?

4) let's say I have 2 wireless adapters and both are connected to different networks, when I browse the net, etc which network would be used?

#2 2009-06-15 17:43:50

Trent

Re: qn about NETWORKS=() and AUTO_NETWORKS in rc.conf

1) AUTO_NETWORKS tells net-auto what interfaces to automatically start.  (This is my understanding anyway).  AUTO_NETWORKS will be ignored if net-auto is not in your DAEMONS.

2) I believe (but I could be wrong) that all the profiles in NETWORKS are started at every boot, no matter what.

3) Put the appropriate profiles in /etc/network.d, add net-auto to your DAEMONS line, and set AUTO_NETWORKS=(auto-wireless wlan0).  Don't put them in NETWORKS.

#3 2009-06-16 00:08:17

iphitus
Forum Fellow

If you want your adapter to connect to certain preferred networks only, and dont mind taking a few seconds time hit, then you could just list them all in NETWORKS=()

- netcfg checks for a wire when starting ethernet connections,
- netcfg checks if a wireless network is available before connection (doesnt work with hidden networks) if you set SCAN="yes" in the profile

So for either type of connection, it only takes a few moments for it to decide to not connect.

Last edited by iphitus (2009-06-16 00:09:06)

#4 2009-06-23 07:02:59

unregistered

if i use net-auto do i still need the networks array as well as the net-profiles entry in the daemons array or can i comment them out?

#5 2009-06-23 17:12:00

Trent

unregistered wrote:

if i use net-auto do i still need the networks array as well as the net-profiles entry in the daemons array or can i comment them out?

Only if you want to *always* start some profiles in addition to *automatically* starting a profile based on what is available.  Otherwise you can safely comment the NETWORKS array and disable the net-profiles daemon.

Board footer