You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-22 17:23:04

baion baion

[Solved] Unable to connect to ftp server remotely.

Hellow everyone,
I setup an ftp server using vstpd following the wiki guide but I'm unable to connect to it remotely, after loging in nothing happens and then the connection times out. Locally I'm able to connect just fine. I have forwarded ports 20 and 21 using my router, I'm not running iptables on my server and I have added vsftpd: All to the /etc/hosts.allow file.
Any ideas?

Edit: I'm starting to think that the problem is more general than what I thought. I also configured an openssh server on the same machine. It is accessible locally but not remotely. I forwarded port 22 and added openssh to the hosts.allow file. Through the terminal even though I can ping the server when trying to connect through ssh or ftp I just get no response at all. What might be causing this?

Last edited by baion baion (2009-06-25 21:04:01)

#2 2009-06-24 09:00:55

baion baion

Re: [Solved] Unable to connect to ftp server remotely.

It turns out that the reason i could not connect to the server was of my router. I was using the public ip to connect to the server from within the network. After loads of research I have found that routers don't like you looping out and back in and block the connection forwarded or not. I tested the server from a friends computer and the ssh/sftp server works fine ftp does not. But I since I can do my job with the sftp I have not complains.

Last edited by baion baion (2009-06-25 21:03:26)

Board footer