You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-29 13:16:46

plurt

[solved] Old topics

I was happily reading the forum, when suddenly, on reaching the bottom of http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=47658 it appears to be a bump of a topic over a year old. Rightfully closed by Allan as we speak.

Now, I don't really understand how these realy old topics get bumped, and I'm fairly certain there's some mentioning of this practice in the forum etiquette.

(1 minute later)
Voila: I knew it: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/For … bumping.27

So, now I have wasted about 5 minutes of my life posting this, but is it a waste? Nah, I chose to post this, and maybe something good comes out of it. (Be it a laugh, funny remark, some minor improvement, someone reading and thinking 'necrobumping? etiquette? I should read up on this stuff!')

the 5 or more minutes I wasted on reading the necrothread howevere, realy felt wasted.
So I thought, I have to tell this to someone, in the right place, the forum discussion, because I thought maybe someone could come up with a brilliant sollution, like tagging [OLD] or closing them or something.

And *doh* do I feel stupid now not looking at the date of the first post I read, something someone smarter than me, like Allan, did.

Maybe there's nothing that needs or should be done in that retrospect, and I should happily go about my way with a lesson learned. "Pay attention to dates!" (Right now, when I read that, it sounds like I date but ignore the girls I date with, which I don't, because I don't date, my girlfriend doesn't let me, but when I dated her, I sure didn't ignore her tongue .. I may have ignored others in the past though, come to think of it)

To Forum Moderators: thanks for a hell of a good job, never had any complaints! And if this thread needs to be moved elsewhere to die silently, I apologise for the work and wasted minutes that may cause you.

edit:s/Allen/Allan

Last edited by plurt (2009-06-29 15:26:55)

When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane I say.
FAQ / Beginners Guide / The Arch Way

#2 2009-06-29 14:35:44

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: [solved] Old topics

You're welcome, and no, we don't need to move it - it can die silently here. smile

Re tagging, closing, "or something" - yes we could, but the main problem there is that it means more work for us. smile Apart from that, we expect Archers to check the date and act accordingly, in keeping with the general Arch principle of leaving control in the users' hands.

#3 2009-06-29 14:40:54

Allan
Pacman
Website

I just looked for an easy solution (e.g. automatic closing after ? months from the last post) but I did not see any.  Maybe there is a plugin (but that means more maintenance...) or a new option will become available when we upgrade the forum software.  As tomk points out, any other option is just too much work.

#4 2009-06-29 15:27:33

plurt

Alright, thanks for the replies smile

When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane I say.
FAQ / Beginners Guide / The Arch Way

#5 2009-06-30 01:19:15

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Allan wrote:

I just looked for an easy solution (e.g. automatic closing after ? months from the last post) but I did not see any.  Maybe there is a plugin (but that means more maintenance...) or a new option will become available when we upgrade the forum software.  As tomk points out, any other option is just too much work.

Assuming PG backend...?

#!/bin/bash

CMD="UPDATE topics SET locked = true WHERE date_last_post < CURRENT_TIMESTAMP() + CAST('3 MONTHS AGO' AS interval);"
psql -h archlinux.org --user punbb -c "$CMD"

exit 0

Board footer