You are not logged in.

#1 2004-11-30 16:50:57

ovihc

Arch Linux as a WebServer

I want to set up a webserver with PHP and Mysql to host webpages. I have a couple of questions about Arch Linux.

1.) Is Arch Linux a good distro to implement a web server with PHP Mysql and Apache? Is it safe?

I had already chosen Freebsd but I still like Arch linux too much to ignore it.

2.) What type of firewall can I install? Is it possible to install a firewall on the same computer as the server, or is it best to dedicate another computer as a firewall.

#2 2004-11-30 17:08:54

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: Arch Linux as a WebServer

ovihc wrote:

1.) Is Arch Linux a good distro to implement a web server with PHP Mysql and Apache? Is it safe?

Sure. Any distro can generally be as safe as you make it. Since most arch users know their systems a bit better than some (how many fedora users know EVERY single package that is installed on their box?), they might have a better shot at securing it.
I would say that arch has some security permission issues, but most of these would only cause problems when there are user accounts on the box and you hand out ssh permission to them. For standalone services, these issues should not effect things.

2.) What type of firewall can I install? Is it possible to install a firewall on the same computer as the server, or is it best to dedicate another computer as a firewall.

Yes, you can have a firewall on the box itself. It is usually recommended to have both, depending on your requirements. For most instances, though, you would probably be fine to just have one on the box.
I just use iptables for my firewall. I just hand edit the rules in a bash script, then just save off the rules when I get them how I wan't them. If you are serious about firewalls, I recommend you just hunker down and get familiar with generating the iptables rules by yourself. If, however, you could really care less about firewalls, and only want simple security from your firewall, then by all means...there are firewall script generators out there for iptabes (gui pointy-clicky things).

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2004-11-30 20:27:19

afu

I have been running a webserver from my desktop at work for over a year with no known problems. I'm the only user on this box, but it is exposed to the net.

#4 2004-12-21 18:57:14

oscar

I use a script called firehol to generate my firewall rulesets, mostly since I haven't had the time to learn iptables properly smile

To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password.

#5 2004-12-21 19:52:07

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

oh, yeah...forgot to mention that php safe mode is a good deal. You should have it enabled.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#6 2004-12-21 20:33:07

oscar

and disable any short tags!
you can't make a proper xhtml-page if your php parser starts parsing your xml-definition (that starts with <?) smile

To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password.

#7 2004-12-21 20:38:22

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

oscar wrote:

and disable any short tags!

short tags are disabled by default I believe..so...
Don't enable short tags!

lol

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

Board footer