You are not logged in.

#1 2004-12-21 23:35:21

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

fudged my X forwarding over ssh

Ok, somewhere along the line I screwed up my X11 ssh link at work...
I got a new computer and my laptop was in the shop for a bit... so things may have changed here and there....

I can ssh into the box just fine, but, the display variable is set to HOSTNAME:10.0 instead of localhost:10.0... when i run something, like xclock, it runs fine, but I have no clue where it's displaying (X is not running locally on the machine I am sshing into)...

I have :

X11Forwarding yes
X11DisplayOffset 10
X11UseLocalhost no

in sshd_config

If I switch X11UseLocalHost to yes, then no DISPLAY varialbe is ever set.

putty is configured with X11 Forwarding enabled....

no clue where to ever start

#2 2004-12-21 23:38:48

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: fudged my X forwarding over ssh

what do you have in ssh_config ?
do you have

Host *
        ForwardX11 yes

or something similar?

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2004-12-21 23:51:10

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

the ssh client is putty on windows.... I have the equivalent....

#4 2004-12-22 00:33:38

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

and you have an X server listening on the windows box?

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2004-12-22 15:16:17

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

cactus wrote:

and you have an X server listening on the windows box?

aye, using cygwin... i had this working at one point... similar if not identical setup...

the thing i find odd is that the ssh client is setting DISPLAY to HOSTNAME:10.0 instead of loclahost:10.0....

#6 2004-12-22 16:40:52

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

hmmm, you don't know how long I've been looking for a way to do this... cygwin eh?

The reason is even better  :?  I like to ssh into my home computer during my free time at school, and of course, that's just console thru putty, so I've been yelled at twice because people thought I was a "hacker" (they meant cracker) (when..remind me please...did consoles become associated with doing naughy things?). So ever since the second time, I've been looking for a good way to forward X through because that way it's graphical and appearantly graphical != naughty.
:evil:  Idiots

The suggestion box only accepts patches.

#7 2004-12-22 16:42:59

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

neotuli wrote:

hmmm, you don't know how long I've been looking for a way to do this... cygwin eh?

The reason is even better  :?  I like to ssh into my home computer during my free time at school, and of course, that's just console thru putty, so I've been yelled at twice because people thought I was a "hacker" (they meant cracker) (when..remind me please...did consoles become associated with doing naughy things?). So ever since the second time, I've been looking for a good way to forward X through because that way it's graphical and appearantly graphical != naughty.
:evil:  Idiots

yeah i was going to strip down the cygwin install so i really only need XWin.exe and some random dlls.... throw that with putty on a usb stick and use that from anywhere....

#8 2004-12-22 22:16:55

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

gosh..this is a brain musher for me..
are you setting anything silly in /etc/profile, ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bashrc ?

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

Board footer