You are not logged in.

#451 2009-06-13 22:58:19

sirmacik
Website

Re: Laptops which run Arch

ASUS F5GL-AP078
Everything works fine! Even hibernate and suspend from new version of kernel (2.6.30). I'm using lapsus for function keys and wicd for wlan.
It was easy to configure it with wiki page for ASUS F5R

Edit:
Today I installed acpi-support-debian from AUR. First observation was... Faster going into and waking up from suspend. So I recommend  also this port to improve using Arch on ASUS laptop ;]

Last edited by sirmacik (2009-06-17 16:23:53)

#452 2009-06-19 12:32:17

pius

Installed Arch64 on Dell M1330, works fine. I follow Dell M1330 tutorial: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dell_XPS_M1330.

#453 2009-06-19 13:42:25

kgas

Installed Arch (32 bit)  in the following laptops

Dell Min 9 (Touch pad tap option not working)

hp dv5 1145ee (esata /hdmi ports not tested) (ATi card HD3450/AMD processor)

Acer 4920G (ATi HD2400 XT) , Travelmate 291 LCi, Aspire one

Lenovo 3000 N100 and N500

#454 2009-06-19 15:12:29

cnshzj007
Website

D630,out Laptop

#455 2009-06-21 16:03:18

mikewu

Lenovo Thinkpad T400
Followed http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Len … nkPad_T400
Only thing not working seems to be discrete graphics.

#456 2009-06-21 16:16:40

greenfish

My laptop (see my sig) honestly the days when modern laptops couldn't run a specific x86 kernel is pretty much in the past, and besides if it doesn't work you could always build your own kernel or run knoppix.

My laptop works 99% meaning the remaining percentage is just the memory slot but that's because there's no source code yet (sony bullshit).

ARCH64 archSKYNET server AMD  Phenom(tm) II X2 550 HDD 6TB Ram 8GB
Hobbies: Running, Pistol Marksmanship, Classic Music

#457 2009-06-23 03:21:11

cyclotomic

Asus N81vp:

-  Ethernet works out of the box
-  Wireless works out of the box (atk9000)
-  ATI mobility radeon 4650 works after annoying setup with proprietary drivers (also works with the radeonhd driver but it allows the fan to run at full speed all the time)
-  keys mostly work
-  sound card works (ALSA)
-  trackpad requires synaptics but works well
-  Haven't tried Webcam or Fingerprint reader
-  Haven't tried Suspend or hibernate, but since it's ATI I doubt they work properly.

Overall runs well.

#458 2009-06-24 01:21:13

antarbozi

Currently running Arch 32-bit on a Dell Studio 15 (Specifications in sig)

- Ethernet: worked as per the Beginner's Guide
- Wireless: I'm using the Intel 5300 model so using the information found here I was able to use wireless (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wir … 000-series) Just make sure the wireless is on (by pressing the F2 button)
- Graphics (Radeon 4570) not supported by Catalyst 9.6. Currently using xf86-video-ati.
- To get the keyboard and mouse to work run:

pacman -S xf86-input-mouse
pacman -S xf86-input-keyboard 
/etc/rc.d/hal restart

- Sound works by first editing /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf:

alias snd-card-0 snd_hda_intel
alias snd-slot-0 snd_hda_intel
options snd-pscp index=2
options snd_hda_intel model=dell-m6

in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf:

options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m6

and by muting the analog loopback channels.

- keys work for now except for the brightness keys. Backlit keys worked from the start.
- Webcam uses uvc drivers check if it works by running cheese(from gnome-extra) or guvcview (from AUR)
- Mic: You can use either the Internal Mic or an External one but only one at a time. Info on how to configure can be found here (http://www.avalpa.com/assets/andrea/stu … dio15.html)

Last edited by antarbozi (2009-06-26 03:05:00)

Arch 32-bit
PC: Dell Dimension E520 Intel Pentium D 3GHz HDD 320GB SATA RAM 1GB DDR2 NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE 256MB
Laptop: Dell Studio 15 Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4GHz HDD 500GB SATA RAM 4GB DDR2 ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 512MB

#459 2009-06-25 10:15:30

technofan79

mSi is much better

#460 2009-06-25 17:51:48

Void_Walker

Currently running Arch on Sony VAIO FE21B, almost flawless... almost smile

#461 2009-06-25 18:20:53

rebugger

Thinkpad X32 works great. Optimizing right now.

#462 2009-06-25 23:05:48

deadlylife

Dell Vostro 1500
Everything works except sleep, suspend, hibernate, etc.

#463 2009-06-27 17:15:40

neptuneK

HP Pavilion dv6500t with Intel Graphics accelerator. Everything works except the Dial-up modem - okay I haven't really tried very hard.

#464 2009-06-27 17:23:34

arkham
Website

Acer aspire 1511 Lmi: everything works, except for PCMCIA and dial-up modem tongue

"I'm Winston Wolfe. I solve problems."

~ Need moar games? [arch-games] ~ [aurcheck] AUR haz updates? ~

#465 2009-06-27 17:23:58

lifeafter2am

MacBook Pro 5,1 - Arch64  ---- only thing that does not work yet are the speakers in Alsa, it is a bug and they are working on it
Dell Studio XPS 1340 - Arch64  ----  everything works

I don't use sleep/suspend etc., so I can't speak for any of that stuff.

#binarii @ irc.binarii.net
Matrix Server: https://matrix.binarii.net
-------------
Allan -> ArchBang is not supported because it is stupid.

#466 2009-06-27 18:37:03

matiit
Website

Toshiba a300-15P
Exactly everything is working pretty well. Except fn+fx keys (but only hotkeys keys, so brightness, touchpad on off etc.. working(: )

#467 2009-06-27 18:58:33

scarecrow

LG E210 subnotebook. Nvidia chipset+GPU.
Everything working perfectly, including kernel mode suspend+hibernate (no need for tuxonice or whatever). The only thing does not work is brightness adjustment, which is a common issue for most nvidia portable GPU's.
Also, OSS4 is not working- it does load and I do get sound, but it's horribly distorted. Alsa is working very well.

Last edited by scarecrow (2009-06-27 19:00:34)

Microshaft delenda est

#468 2009-06-29 11:53:52

onederer

Greetings!

I would like to try Archlinux.  But based on my past history in trying many distros, few of them were able to easily handle wireless wifi. I've lost many hours in the past, just trying to get my laptops working in a wireless situation.  In most cases, I've had to give up.  I have no intention of being leashed to a CAT-6 cable, while my laptop is capable of working in WIFI a-b-c mode,

My current machine is an HP 64-bit AMD Turion, model number: HP Pavillion DV6000.  The main hard drive has Win Vista Premium.  And for Linux, I currently use a 32GB Flash Drive, with PCLinuxOS.  The reason that I'm currently using PCLinuxOS, is because of all the distros that I tried, there were only two that had all the codecs and software applications to make wireless operation very painless. PCLinuxOS and Freespire are the only two that were painless to setup.

Now, what I'd like to know is: how painless is Archlinux or will be, to setup for wireless operation?  Is it laptop friendly? Is it more or less designed to be run on a desktop with an Ethernet cable?  Is there a software application to ease the wireless setup, similar to PCLinuxOS?

I tried to download the Flash Memory image version. That didn't pan out.  The "dd" command kept on giving me all kinds of error messages (some of which I didn't understand). Any combination of setting up the command structure just didn't work.  This time, if I download it, I will try the ISO file, burn it on a CD, then install that on a USB 320GB hard drive.  This machine does boot up  USB devices.

Your feedback on this topic will be highly appreciated.  smile

#469 2009-06-29 12:36:09

rebugger

onederer wrote:

Greetings!

I would like to try Archlinux.  But based on my past history in trying many distros, few of them were able to easily handle wireless wifi. I've lost many hours in the past, just trying to get my laptops working in a wireless situation.  In most cases, I've had to give up.  I have no intention of being leashed to a CAT-6 cable, while my laptop is capable of working in WIFI a-b-c mode,

My current machine is an HP 64-bit AMD Turion, model number: HP Pavillion DV6000.  The main hard drive has Win Vista Premium.  And for Linux, I currently use a 32GB Flash Drive, with PCLinuxOS.  The reason that I'm currently using PCLinuxOS, is because of all the distros that I tried, there were only two that had all the codecs and software applications to make wireless operation very painless. PCLinuxOS and Freespire are the only two that were painless to setup.

Now, what I'd like to know is: how painless is Archlinux or will be, to setup for wireless operation?  Is it laptop friendly? Is it more or less designed to be run on a desktop with an Ethernet cable?  Is there a software application to ease the wireless setup, similar to PCLinuxOS?

I tried to download the Flash Memory image version. That didn't pan out.  The "dd" command kept on giving me all kinds of error messages (some of which I didn't understand). Any combination of setting up the command structure just didn't work.  This time, if I download it, I will try the ISO file, burn it on a CD, then install that on a USB 320GB hard drive.  This machine does boot up  USB devices.

Every distribution should work well with wifi. why don't you tell us what wifi card you have?
And why don't you write a new thread for you problems? More people might read it?

#470 2009-06-29 19:21:07

clmates

Hi.

onederer wrote:

Greetings!

I have Arch installed in a dv6000 to be more precise a dv6319eu a 64 bit turion, with a broadcom wireless bmc 4312. All my system is working, the wireless, the webcam, the internal mic, etc.

As for the wireless setup, you best finish the install over eth0 (wired), then you only need to install the firmware from AUR (inthe wifi wiki under Broadcom b43 you have the steps, here is the link to the firmware package

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=21690

I first set up with kde and Networkmanager, now I'm using kde and wicd, both ways work fine, but wicd looks simplier and bug free than networkmanager)

HTH

-

Arch64 - Acer AX3950 - i5-650 3.2 GHz - 8 GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce 320 1 GB Ram
Arch32 - Samsung NC10 - 2 GB Ram

#471 2009-07-02 21:33:55

Veovis Muad'dib

I'm running a Macbook Pro 4,1 15" screen, the last before the unibodies.

Everything that I've tried to get working, does.  I had problems with DNS and my router, that made me think there was something wrong, but that's fixed now and had nothing to do with the computer.

Here's a list off the top of my head of the things I haven't tried to get working.  I might be forgetting something, but if I am, I obviously don't care about it enough to notice:

Sound: I had it running in Ubuntu when I was in that camp, but I haven't cared enough to get it working here.
Trackpad: I just use my Logitech G7 all the time.  The only wireless mouse I've ever seen that doesn't suck.
Webcam: My lid is usually closed, hooked up as a desktop, so I never use the webcam.

EDIT: Just because I posted here, I decided to give the above three a try:

Sound: I followed some instructions about changing a config file to say intel audio like in the 3,1 macbook pro, but that didn't work.  Which is weird because that's how I remember doing it in Ubuntu.
Trackpad: I didn't spend much time on this, but I found a thread about it here, this is the only thing I could find in either google or arch linux forums search.  I'm still looking and trying on this one.
Webcam: Well, I downloaded cheese to test it, and bang, it worked without any setup or anything.

1/3 is okay I guess.  Especially since I didn't care about any of these things to begin with.  And I've only spent a few minutes.  I'll report back again when I get these working, this thread is like a challenge to me. smile

Last edited by Veovis Muad'dib (2009-07-02 22:13:23)

#472 2009-07-03 02:31:49

onederer

clmates wrote:

Hi.

onederer wrote:

Greetings!

I have Arch installed in a dv6000 to be more precise a dv6319eu a 64 bit turion, with a broadcom wireless bmc 4312. All my system is working, the wireless, the webcam, the internal mic, etc.

As for the wireless setup, you best finish the install over eth0 (wired), then you only need to install the firmware from AUR (inthe wifi wiki under Broadcom b43 you have the steps, here is the link to the firmware package

I first set up with kde and Networkmanager, now I'm using kde and wicd, both ways work fine, but wicd looks simplier and bug free than networkmanager)
\
HTH

I gave up on Archlinux.  My network card is an Atheros WIFI card.  I couldn't get to first base with the USB Archlinux image.  I kept on getting all kinds of errors trying to use the "dd" command line.  I then tried to download and burn Archlinux into a CDROM platter.  Archlinux installer only saw my built-in hard drive, and instead of recoginizing it as a hda device, it listed it as and sda device.   It could not see anything on the USB hubs, and insisted on installing itself on my primary internal hard drive. Such thing I didn't want.  I wanted an external bootable Linux OS installed into a bootable USB Flash Drive.  After spending hours on this problem, it was time to give up.  Laptop friendly it was not, and I didn't have anyone close that I could collaborate with to get all the answers that I needed.  I did not even get to base one, and I can only guess that it is a fine distro for desktop Ethernet usage, but not for Wireless networking.

#473 2009-07-03 02:47:28

dr0p

Dell Inspiron 1420. Runs great out of the box, although you have to use the broadcom-wl package from the AUR to get your wifi working without using crappy ndiswrapper.

Arch i686 User
xmonad :: xmobar :: urxvt :: vim

#474 2009-07-03 03:06:05

lifeafter2am

onederer wrote:
clmates wrote:

Hi.

onederer wrote:

Greetings!

\
HTH

I gave up on Archlinux.  My network card is an Atheros WIFI card.  I couldn't get to first base with the USB Archlinux image.  I kept on getting all kinds of errors trying to use the "dd" command line.  I then tried to download and burn Archlinux into a CDROM platter.  Archlinux installer only saw my built-in hard drive, and instead of recoginizing it as a hda device, it listed it as and sda device.   It could not see anything on the USB hubs, and insisted on installing itself on my primary internal hard drive. Such thing I didn't want.  I wanted an external bootable Linux OS installed into a bootable USB Flash Drive.  After spending hours on this problem, it was time to give up.  Laptop friendly it was not, and I didn't have anyone close that I could collaborate with to get all the answers that I needed.  I did not even get to base one, and I can only guess that it is a fine distro for desktop Ethernet usage, but not for Wireless networking.

Please keep in mind that this is in YOUR limited experience.  I, personally, have 2 laptops running wireless fine .. not to mention the plethora of people who posted in this thread.

#binarii @ irc.binarii.net
Matrix Server: https://matrix.binarii.net
-------------
Allan -> ArchBang is not supported because it is stupid.

#475 2009-07-03 03:07:34

kyouens
Website

I'm running Arch on a Lenovo ThinkPad T500, and everything is working fine except the fingerprinter reader doesn't have a Linux driver yet.

Board footer