You are not logged in.

#26 2009-07-09 15:48:22

leo2501

Re: Is Arch suitable for a netbook?

I'm now going to install windows in my MSI Wind in a couple of hours, actually I'm making backups and downloading portable apps for it... my story is this... after i tryed everything and learned a lot more than i could ever imagined about linux with arch, now i want to enjoy my multimedia files, and only use the computer to watch my media in my external LCD... and with linux, there's no possibility to watch 720p videos with netbooks, but this is actually possible with windows and the CoreAVC propietary codec, so here's the thing...

For two or so years, i spent nearly all my free time, looking for ways to improve my arch installation, fighting with unsolvable intel vga driver issues, tweaking the "CLI-GUI" and learning, were mostly the only things i can remember, i like that, but i'm entering a stage in my life, where i want to spent my time enjoying my computer, my media files and use the information i have, so the OS is irrelevant for me now, i only want something that can do specific things, and there's no way i can achieve this with linux NOW, so, I'll be using windows, until i change my hardware for the next-gen netbooks or something like nvidia tegra powered mini tablet-pc's arrive here, or maybe google makes it with android or google chrome OS, that they announced yestarday, and it solves my current issues... because the intel vga card that is working so well for a lot of people, is not wirking right here with the xorg drivers, and my girlfriend same model Wind is working perfectly and can do all the things i need...

The thing is that i'll always LOVE arch, it tought me, it showed me *nix way, because you do not only learn about linux with arch, you learn about your computer, and some tools that you can't even dream of using windows for example... but for now is the only one that can do the things i need, and don't bring me problems updating it... because you don't, lol, I'm gonna use a nearly decade old OS, with new open source apps.

I hope my experience helps someone... smile

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

#27 2009-07-10 07:30:10

barzam

Re: Is Arch suitable for a netbook?

I use a tiling WM on my Eeepc and like it a lot, but I also liked Openbox when set up to use the keyboard for everything. I normally only use maximised windows due to the small screen, so I fugured a tiling suited me better.

Board footer