You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-15 02:16:40

ygao

Cannot get shared lock on RPM Database - do we have RPM ?

Hi, there,

I install a software but get this error "Cannot get shared lock on RPM Database".
Does this mean we don't have RPM database manager at all? So how to install it if the software has to RPM??

Thanks a lot for help,
Mike

#2 2009-07-15 03:03:12

denisfalqueto

Re: Cannot get shared lock on RPM Database - do we have RPM ?

Hi, friend.

I don't want to be rude in anyway, but have you read any documentation about Arch before installing? This is absolutely important to use Arch and your question seems to show that didn't. Please, read through all the instalation guide on the wiki. It will make things clear. But just to answer your direct question, no, Arch doesn't use RPM packages. We have a very better system, called pacman. It resolves dependencies, updates the whole system (including the kernel) and puts your cat out tonight (ops... maybe a future version.)

I see by your furm posts that you are new here, so welcome and don't be afraid to read the wiki. It will answer most of your questions faster than asking.

Satisfied users don't rant, so you'll never know how many of us there are.

#3 2009-07-15 06:04:23

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

ygao wrote:

I install a software but get this error "Cannot get shared lock on RPM Database".

What software? How did you 'install' it?

ygao wrote:

Does this mean we don't have RPM database manager at all?

No, Arch does not.

ygao wrote:

So how to install it if the software has to RPM??

ABS: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ABS
If the software doesn't distribute it's source code, then there are some tricks to be able convert RPM packages to .tar.gz packages... Use this methods as a last resort!

Also see about pacman: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman

And be sure to read about Package Management in general: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cat … English%29

#4 2009-07-15 14:30:00

ygao

Thanks for all your help. I know the arch's pacman even though not very well. But I use a lot. The issue is some application software go with its own installation process. I can't ask them to change their way. If we can adopt  RPM as a tool for supporting application (not source code) installation from company like "intel", it will be very welcome to most of users on Arch Linux.

#5 2009-07-15 14:34:18

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

ygao wrote:

Thanks for all your help. I know the arch's pacman even though not very well. But I use a lot. The issue is some application software go with its own installation process. I can't ask them to change their way. If we can adopt  RPM as a tool for supporting application (not source code) installation from company like "intel", it will be very welcome to most of users on Arch Linux.

rpmextract + PKGBUILD

Edit: And yes, you can ask them to change the installer. Tell them that they are losing a lot of potential customers when they use a stupid installer that assumes that everyone uses rpm.

Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2009-07-15 14:35:21)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#6 2009-07-15 15:58:59

windtalker

I think you misread his statement Mr.Elendig.
He's saying Arch should adopt the rpm system.

@ ygao:

There is a "tool" and it's been mentioned above.
In order to make things "easier" for rpm installs would require the devs to rebuild each and every one of the thousands of packages that comprise Arch to rpm's,,, to start.
I really don't foresee that happening myself.
There's enough based off of Red Hat out there anyway.
One can install any Linux compatible package to any Linux system if one takes the time to learn how.
One however can only use one package manager at a time on a given system, and Arch does not use the Red Hat Package Manager.
Much easier and more efficient for the user to read the wiki and learn to do what they need done on their own or possibly even for Intel and all the other software manufacturers to realize we Linux users aren't going anywhere.
  We do buy their products however and we base our buying decisions on how friendly they may or may not be to us Linux users.
Btw, rpm's aren't all that to begin with.
The Arch way is more efficient and reliable imho.

#7 2009-07-15 19:06:44

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

windtalker wrote:

I think you misread his statement Mr.Elendig.
He's saying Arch should adopt the rpm system.

ygao wrote:

The issue is some application software go with its own installation process. I can't ask them to change their way.

That's what I was responding to.
And for the adoption of rpm;

Mr.Elendig wrote:

rpmextract + PKGBUILD

Anyway, the problem is that you can't really make one rpm that works on all distroes. Because different distroes have different versions of libs, different configuration, different filesystem hiarchy, different init system and so on. Binary packages is just bad, unless they provide every lib and so on (and therefore are 10 times larger than they need to be)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#8 2009-07-15 21:00:55

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

ygao wrote:

Houston, we have a problem.

There are tools like rpmextract to meet your needs. But you'll have to do the work yourself. So no, we don't have RPM, nor do we plan on getting it. What do you think pacman is for?

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#9 2009-07-15 22:43:27

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

B wrote:

So no, we don't have RPM, nor do we plan on getting it.

*collective sigh of relief from the audience*

Board footer