You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-15 20:12:06

DarksideEE7

KDEMod: desktop background suddenly gone, only background color

Well it may have something to do with the updates today (I ran pacman -Syu earlier and there were a large number of updates), but I don't have my wallpaper anymore.  If I change to a different background I still only see the color selected in appearance settings.
I reinstalled kdemod-complete and tried creating a new user, then logging in and I still have the problem.
I can see the splash background (I made it using a tool that creates a splash from your current theme), but it fades to a white screen afterward.
I haven't tried deleting the user settings for KDE, as I'm not sure where they're located....
Help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by DarksideEE7 (2009-07-15 20:15:43)

#2 2009-07-15 20:40:16

deej

Re: KDEMod: desktop background suddenly gone, only background color

#3 2009-07-15 20:53:22

DarksideEE7

THanks man..........I suppose I can just wait.

#4 2009-07-15 20:57:42

deej

No problem. One thing you may like to try is to set your background to 'virus' or 'slideshow'. I had
the problem you have a while ago, and doing this seemed to kick some sense into the thing, and
I could then set ordinary backgrounds. I was running kde-svn though, not kde-mod ( I think roll ).

Give it a go - you'll lose nothing.

Deej

#5 2009-07-15 20:59:16

DarksideEE7

deej wrote:

No problem. One thing you may like to try is to set your background to 'virus' or 'slideshow'. I had
the problem you have a while ago, and doing this seemed to kick some sense into the thing, and
I could then set ordinary backgrounds. I was running kde-svn though, not kde-mod ( I think roll ).

Give it a go - you'll lose nothing.

Deej

I'll give it a shot.  Thanks!

Well I tried running slideshow (I don't have a 'virus' option on kdemod) and it doesn't look like that works.  I suppose that I can downgrade libjpeg until this is fixed......I've never done that so I'll have to look it up in the man for pacman.

Last edited by DarksideEE7 (2009-07-15 21:02:38)

#6 2009-07-15 21:25:24

deej

OK... it was worth a go. Of course, you could always try kde-svn smile

Deej

#7 2009-07-15 21:33:10

funkyou
Website

Fixed packages should be up in some hours.

want a modular and tweaked KDE for arch? try kdemod

#8 2009-07-16 05:42:21

DarksideEE7

funkyou wrote:

Fixed packages should be up in some hours.

I just updated to the latest packages and it looks to be fixed now.  That was fast.  big_smile
I do notice that kdrc is broken due to libjpeg sad  I suppose that I could create a sym link, but I may just wait it out.

#9 2009-07-16 12:33:48

gogodidi

Hey, I had the same problems, but even after reinstalling the packages and still had them, so I went out and found the old libjpeg libraries.

I extracted them from an rpm I found and put it in /usr/lib. (then symlinked to /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62

If you feel as if you can trust me (stranger danger!), grab the same one Im using from here
Alternatively you can just find an rpm (only found the file in rpms) and extract it with

rpm2cpio - < libjpeg-6b-43.fc10.x86_64.rpm  | cpio -idmv

#10 2009-07-16 12:47:16

Allan
Pacman
Website

If you really want to take that approach, then why take an rpm from another distro when an old Arch package is surely floating round somewhere.

#11 2009-07-16 12:50:27

gogodidi

Allan wrote:

If you really want to take that approach, then why take an rpm from another distro when an old Arch package is surely floating round somewhere.

I would have liked to, but I'm new to arch and didn't know where to look tongue. Got a tip for where to look next time I need to do something as stupid as this?

#12 2009-07-16 12:53:32

Skripka

gogodidi wrote:
Allan wrote:

I would have liked to, but I'm new to arch and didn't know where to look tongue. Got a tip for where to look next time I need to do something as stupid as this?

Check the Pacman Wiki-it tells you how to downgrade packages that are still in Pacman cache.

#13 2009-07-16 14:07:43

DarksideEE7

Allan wrote:

Skripka wrote:
gogodidi wrote:
Allan wrote:

Check the Pacman Wiki-it tells you how to downgrade packages that are still in Pacman cache.

Agreed.  I subscribe to the KISS school of thought, so I would rather only install Arch packages to prevent any unforseen problems. 
So far the only app that's still broken is KRDC (I use it to remote my Vista PC when I'm feeling lazy big_smile), and that could be fixed with a symlink most likely.

EDIT:
While I was posting this I was also running pacman to upgrade and what do you know?  They already have new packages for all of the broken kdemod apps (kdrc included.)
Nice.

Last edited by DarksideEE7 (2009-07-16 14:13:49)

Board footer