murderbymodem

Need Wireless help

Okay, I'm a bit confused.

lspci shows my card as

00:10.0 Network controller: Texas Instruments ACX 100 22Mbps Wireless Interface

Now, Here is what the Wireless page on the Arch wiki says about the ACX 100:

ACX100/111

packages: tiacx tiacx-firmware

The driver should tell you which firmware it needs; check /var/log/messages.log or use the dmesg command.

Move the appropriate firmware to '/lib/firmware'. I did this:

ln -s /usr/share/tiacx/acx111_2.3.1.31/tiacx111c16 /lib/firmware

For another way to determine which firmware revision number to use, see the "Which firmware" section of the acx100.sourceforge wiki page page. For ACX100, you can follow the links provided there, to a table of card model number vs. "firmware files known to work"; you can figure out the rev. number you need, by looking at the suffix there. E.g. a dlink_dwl650+ uses "1.9.8.b", in which case you'd do this:

ln -s /usr/share/tiacx/acx100_1.9.8.b/* /lib/firmware

Hint: If you find that the driver is spamming your kernel log, for example because you're running Kismet with channel-hopping, you could put this in /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf:

options acx debug=0

NOTE: The open-source acx driver does not support WPA/RSN encryption. NDISWRAPPER will have to be used with the windows driver to enable the enhanced encryption. See ndiswrapper, this page, for more details.

Now, I will be needing support for WPA encryption. My network is encrypted with WPA2 Personal (TKIP+AES), so I will be needing to use Ndiswrapper. Am I still required to find the correct firmware? or do I just need to find the windows driver for my card and set up Ndiswrapper?

I looked on the Arch Wiki for advice on Ndiswrapper, there was a link to the ndiswrapper installation wiki, but it seems to be down.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ndiswrapper/index.phpmediawiki/index.php/Installation/

So, what exactly do I need to do to get this thing working? Usually I just stay away from wireless with Linux, but it's time I get over the fear tongue

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by murderbymodem (2009-07-12 07:53:04)

#2 2009-07-22 20:45:39

ndowens
Website

Re: Need Wireless help

try using cp -rf instead of ln -sf to see if that helps

My site: ndowens.tk

#3 2009-07-22 23:37:41

murderbymodem

ndowens wrote:

try using cp -rf instead of ln -sf to see if that helps

That's just what the Wiki said to do, I never tried it because I was confused. I didn't know weather or not I still needed to put the firmware there if I was going to use ndiswrapper.

I've given up since I use WPA2 on my wireless network, and even the windows driver for it does not support WPA according to the ndiswrapper wiki.

#4 2009-07-23 23:08:37

djszapi
Website

Hello murderbymodem!

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xen <- did you read this too ?

What's the real problem? Isn't your driver okay, or the driver okay, but other not ?

Can you get ip from the server ?

Board footer