You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-04 02:14:46

Convergence

NFS+MPD+MicrowaveOven

So, one of my computers hosts my music, and I share that directory with my other computer over my wlan via NFS.  The client computer then plays that music via MPD.  Anyway, it works great most of the time, but when I run my microwave oven, it interrupts playback (for obvious reasons).  I think that it also chokes on flac from time to time, because I don't get the strongest wlan signal even when my microwave is not running, and flac over lan takes a lot of bandwidth.

So... I was hoping to either change a buffer, or even my setup (maybe nfs+MPD isn't the best for this purpose?  I kind of wonder if I'm using a chainsaw when a pocket-knife will do.)  I found a buffer setting in MPD that may or may not help in this situation, but it says that I probably shouldn't mess with it.  Should I mess with it anyway?  Are there any NFS settings that would optimize music streaming?

I don't think that the builtin http streamer is what I am looking because I also run MPD on the server, and sometimes my girlfriend and I both listen to different music in different rooms.

Edit
PS No, I'm not trying to mount my microwave oven
/Edit

Last edited by Convergence (2009-08-04 02:23:42)

It's a very deadly weapon to know what you're doing
---  William Murderface

#2 2009-08-04 03:00:56

toofishes
Developer
Website

Re: NFS+MPD+MicrowaveOven

No possible way to run anything wired?

#3 2009-08-04 04:18:07

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Re: NFS+MPD+MicrowaveOven

Convergence wrote:

I found a buffer setting in MPD that may or may not help in this situation, but it says that I probably shouldn't mess with it.  Should I mess with it anyway?

The worst that's going to happen is it'll break and you'll have to set it back to the original...

Board footer