You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-05 02:38:18

li.alvez

pacman -Syu error?

hey guys just curious as to why im getting this error msg. this is the 3rd day in a row ive recived this so i don't really know what to do i've read through some forums but i got nothing please help!

$ pacman -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db.tar.gz' from mirrors.easynews.com : Forbidden
error: failed to update core (Forbidden)
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db.tar.gz' from mirrors.easynews.com : Forbidden
error: failed to update extra (Forbidden)
error: failed retrieving file 'community.db.tar.gz' from mirrors.easynews.com : Forbidden
error: failed to update community (Forbidden)
error: failed to synchronize any databases

#2 2009-08-05 02:59:18

sHyLoCk

Re: pacman -Syu error?

Select a different mirror from the mirrorlist and check again.

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

#3 2009-08-05 03:44:43

Arisna

Yeah, easynews is having problems currently.

#4 2009-08-05 12:49:54

li.alvez

how do i select a new mirror?

#5 2009-08-05 12:50:34

Allan
Pacman
Website

edit /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

#6 2009-08-05 13:01:08

jelly
Administrator

it's also recommended to do a

pacman -Syy

after updating a mirror

#7 2009-08-05 21:12:23

li.alvez

well i tried but this is all i got

etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
bash: etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist: No such file or directory

#8 2009-08-05 21:26:52

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

li.alvez wrote:

etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

You need to edit that file, as Allan recommended. Don't just type "etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist" into a shell, (furthermore, you forgot the leading "/").
Try something like

$ nano /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

#9 2009-08-05 21:40:25

keegan

Misfit138 wrote:
li.alvez wrote:

etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

You need to edit that file, as Allan recommended. Don't just type "etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist" into a shell, (furthermore, you forgot the leading "/").
Try something like

$ nano /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

I love how you avoided further headache by suggesting nano. Thumbs up wink

#10 2009-08-05 22:53:14

li.alvez

sorry do i have to write nano? if so what is it?

#11 2009-08-05 23:11:01

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

I firmly suggest you do some reading up or revert to a distro that is more befitting to your level of Linux knowledge...

Nano is an editor, if you don't know how to work with it run

man nano

If you're not familiar with working in a terminal, install Ubuntu, learn, and come back in a few months. If you do, print the nano manual for reference if you need to and write man on your forehead so you'll see it every morning you wake up. Never ever forget it again.

Do this and you'll thrive in a Linux environment.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#12 2009-08-19 12:41:40

dick_turpin
Website

li.alvez wrote:

sorry do i have to write nano? if so what is it?

As there is no further posts I have no idea if you solved this problem or not?

I don't use nano myself I use vi which you will probably have installed anyway, also I don't use sudo so if you have that you will need to modify the following accordingly.

open a terminal (xterm, konsole, gnome terminal whatever it is you have/use) and do the following;

su -
This will ask you for the root password, give that and press 'enter' next type

cd /etc/pacman.d

This is where your 'mirrorlist' lives, next we type

vi mirrorlist

You need to concentrate here, use the arrow keys to navigate around.
So we navigate down to the country's near you, the first entry is the country i.e #United Kingdom we leave that alone we need to uncomment the # sign from in front of the server url so we move down one more using the down arrow key then press i (The letter i) this means "Insert here" press the delete key to remove the # in front of the server.

The line should have changed from blue (Or whatever) text to white text, you can uncomment some more or all if you like. Now press the Esc key then Shift and : (Colon) then type wq (Which stands for Write & Quit)
NOTE: If you make any mistakes type only q! this means "quit without writing anything"

Once you have done all the steps above type

pacman -Syy

This will refresh your list. There is a further step you can take of rankmirrors you will need to look on the wiki for that.

Hope that helps

Last edited by dick_turpin (2009-08-19 12:47:43)

Regards
Peter Cannon
"The man who never makes mistakes never makes anything."

#13 2009-08-19 14:13:15

shining
Pacman Developer

Arch Linux support has reached a new level : How to edit a config file, step by step

I really think someone should make a video, a text description is not friendly at all. Also including an on-screen keyboard in the video to show exactly what was typed.

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#14 2009-08-19 14:44:01

Barrucadu
Website

Clearly the installation process isn't preparing people for the difficulties of Arch. We need to obfusticate it to ensure people have a minimum level of Linux / CLI knowledge.

Last edited by Barrucadu (2009-08-19 14:44:27)

#15 2009-08-19 15:02:01

AdrenalineJunky

Barrucadu wrote:

Clearly the installation process isn't preparing people for the difficulties of Arch. We need to obfusticate it to ensure people have a minimum level of Linux / CLI knowledge.

i'm guessing he didn't do the install the arch way, unless he's still using the command line, i don't think it would be possible for him to install the system without learning how to edit text files from the command line.

as has been said before, unless you really wanna take a hardcore crash course in linux, arch may not be the best distro for you right now. if you really do wanna take the crash course - i'd recommend starting over the arch way, and doing a full install following the begginners guide. you'll learn alot that way.

#16 2009-08-19 15:53:37

shining
Pacman Developer

Barrucadu wrote:

I remember someone mentioning this point, on the arch-releng ML I believe, but I could not find the post again
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-releng/

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#17 2009-08-21 09:54:56

plurt

my first distro was slackware which a friend of mine installed. There was no package manager for slackware at the time, installing meant compiling. I had no idea how to use the cli, let alone vi. Still, given some time and lots of reading, I learned.

Give people some time to learn, just set them on their way. Nobody even bothered to provide some links to the appropriate wiki pages.

Every pupil benefits from good teachers, and I see who fails at what. It's not the pupil willing to learn.

When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane I say.
FAQ / Beginners Guide / The Arch Way

#18 2009-08-21 13:10:54

li.alvez

I was just reading through this string, yea i did not install it myself but i spend many hours in wiki and other forums before i ask for help, just remember everyone here had to take the first step. Dick_Turpin, thank you for going into details on how to fix my problem, Plurt thank you maybe all the big shot programmers here can take a page from your books. thanks guys

#19 2009-08-21 13:40:58

jumboa7

I am not sure whether you can solve this problem or not. But I like to encourage you to stick with ArchLinux. It is harder than some other distros but  wiki and forum here is very good. Start with the hard one and you will learn a lot.

For your problem, I think you should try to understand the meaning of each command and each file. You can find out more in ArchLinux wiki.
Also, I think you start working with pico or nano first before move to vi and/or emacs.

Good Luck

Board footer