You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-06 17:03:28

krolpl

[SOLVED] Strange root password issue

Hello, I have just installed Arch and after reboot when I am trying to login as root with pass that I set at the end of installation script I just get: Login incorrect
I tryed that twice (i have reinstalled Arch), I thought that maybe I made mistake with pass, but no. Does anybody know what am I doing wrong? I hope that you understand what I mean, my english is not to good.

Last edited by krolpl (2009-03-06 17:54:56)

#2 2009-03-06 17:08:50

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Strange root password issue

So have you created a normal user yet? If so, maybe you are mixing up the two passwords.

If you are sure you are using the root password, the user name for it should be "root". also when you create a password, it asks for a confirmation. so you have to type the password in twice to create it. It does not show any visual indication like *s or Xs but it is taking in the input.

Last edited by Inxsible (2009-03-06 17:10:19)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2009-03-06 17:13:29

krolpl

Inxsible wrote:

So have you created a normal user yet? If so, maybe you are mixing up the two passwords.

If you are sure you are using the root password, the user name for it should be "root".

I can't even create user account as I cant login, maybe thats because my system partition is ext4 and I don't have separate boot partition, I heard tahat it's not recommended to use ext4 as boot partition. Do you think that could be a reason?

#4 2009-03-06 17:13:41

perbh

I cant explain _why_ (are you sure you use correct 'case'? - passwords are case sensitive)
However, what you _can_ do is to boot from a live cd and change the root entry in /etc/passwd - ie something like this:

mkdir /mnt/rootfs
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/rootfs  # assuming your root filesystem on your install disk is on /dev/sda1
vi /mnt/rootfs/etc/passwd
   root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

root will now have no password, so when you reboot and log in again, the first thing you should do is to run the passwd command and set a new password.

#5 2009-03-06 17:16:08

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

krolpl wrote:
Inxsible wrote:

If you are sure you are using the root password, the user name for it should be "root".

I can't even create user account as I cant login, maybe thats because my system partition is ext4 and I don't have separate boot partition, I heard tahat it's not recommended to use ext4 as boot partition. Do you think that could be a reason?

What you heard is right and wrong at the same time. I'll explain:

Grub currently doesn't support booting from an ext4 partition. BUT ..the grub available in the Arch repos has been patched to allow booting from an ext4 partition. So as long as you used the Arch grub, then you should be OK.

What Iso did you use? If you used the 2008.06 iso, then the grub on that CD has NOT been patched and so you will first have to download the new grub while in live cd mode and install it.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#6 2009-03-06 17:35:00

krolpl

perbh wrote:

I cant explain _why_ (are you sure you use correct 'case'? - passwords are case sensitive)
However, what you _can_ do is to boot from a live cd and change the root entry in /etc/passwd - ie something like this:

mkdir /mnt/rootfs
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/rootfs  # assuming your root filesystem on your install disk is on /dev/sda1
vi /mnt/rootfs/etc/passwd
   root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

root will now have no password, so when you reboot and log in again, the first thing you should do is to run the passwd command and set a new password.

that worked fine, thanks for help guys, I dont know how to mark this as solved, if someone could explain I will do it.

#7 2009-03-06 17:42:04

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

krolpl wrote:

that worked fine, thanks for help guys, I dont know how to mark this as solved, if someone could explain I will do it.

edit your first post and change the title to add [SOLVED]

Forum Rules

#8 2009-03-06 17:42:31

krolpl

Ok it worked but not 100%, now I can login as root without pass, but when i try to setup new one by typing: passwd
I get message:

passwd: User not known to the underlying authentication module

#9 2009-03-06 17:54:07

krolpl

The solution for this problem is:
Before changing password use command: pwconv
And after that: passwd
It should work now.

#10 2009-08-08 17:03:06

TripleE

I just had this problem on my netbook and this fixed it for me.  Thanks a bunch!!!

HP Chromebook 14

Board footer