You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-02 05:29:19

dannytatom
Website

Wireless causing laptop to lock up constantly

So, my laptop has been locking up (every 30 min or so) for a while now, and I could never figure out why. Well wireless stopped working for about a week and ended up using internet through an ethernet, laptop never froze. As soon as I get wireless working again, it's fucked.

~/ lspci | grep Network
06:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN (rev 01)

Used the b43-fwcutter method in the wiki to get it working. Anyone know what's up, I'm at a loss. hmm

dnyy in IRC & Urban Terror

#2 2009-08-08 08:49:24

djszapi
Website

Re: Wireless causing laptop to lock up constantly

Hello dannytatom!

I don't know, but ArchWiki is our friend wink

#3 2009-08-08 09:07:58

iphitus
Forum Fellow

What sort of lockup?

Keyboard input?
Does mouse move?
Does magic sysrq key work?

Further, have a look at the logs in /var/log and see if there's any output from the kernel. If it consistently locks up quickly, dont start X and see if the kernel dumps any output to the console.

In the meantime, as a temporary workaround while you debug it, you could use ndiswrapper.

#4 2009-08-08 18:04:04

desertViking

Plus one on this thing.

My apologies if I hi-jack this thread.  The authors problem may not be the same, but I thought there might be something similar here.

I just completed a fresh install. I used the ftp install disk, and using the kernel on that disk plus the wireless tools it provided I brought up the Atheros AR5001X which was recognized by the kernel.  From there I completed the installation. 

After I rebooted, the kernel still recognized the wireless card, so using iwconfig, I attach the local router, and "ifconfig wlan0 up".  So far so good.  Upon running dhcpcd to get an ip address, the system will slow to a CRAWWWLLL.  The keyboard will be several seconds behind.  I can enter a keyboard command to bring the interface down, and all is well again.

I've checked all the logs and see nothing fishy there.

Other PCs attached to this router are OK.  Other OS in this computer are OK.

Thoughts or comments?

"In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."

#5 2009-08-08 18:09:09

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

djszapi wrote:

Hello dannytatom!

I don't know, but ArchWiki is our friend wink

I guess he already told you he used the wiki, right? What's the point of such an answer?

desertViking wrote:

Thoughts or comments?

Yes. Open your own topic wink. But then again, if you know you're topic hijacking, you already knew that didn't you ...

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

Board footer