You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-10 17:43:57

playdafunkimuzic

How to use ABS?

Hi,

I have already read through the arch wiki. Can users explain what they've specifically used ABS to do. Why the used it, etc. How is it set up? Do you use it on every package install? Only certain ones?

#2 2009-08-10 18:13:18

SpeedVin

Re: How to use ABS?

Config file is in /etc it's named abs.conf.
How to use it?
You just have to cpy the dir with program that you want to compile to somewhere (Your home) and go into program dir.
Now you can edit PKGBUILD to build type makepkg to build and solve depency makepkg -s and to build package if it was build makepkg -f.
wink

Shell Scripter | C/C++/Python/Java Coder | ZSH

#3 2009-08-10 18:16:43

thayer
Fellow
Website

ABS is handy if you want to modify the source code of a standard package or optimize the compile options. 

It's also handy if you want to build a previous version of a package: run abs, cp the build files somewhere, modify the package version in the PKBUILD and run "makepkg -si".  Some packages may require a bit more work than that, but for most that'll do the trick.

The PKGBUILDs in AUR are essentially the same thing, except they do not exist as standard packages in the repo so you have no choice but to build them yourself as above.

Last edited by thayer (2009-08-11 02:20:52)

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#4 2009-08-10 22:58:12

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

thayer wrote:

ABS is handy if you want to modify the source code of a standard package or optimize the compile options.

Personally I use ABS for PostgreSQL to compile it with the specific options I want.

I also use it for things like courier-imap and cyrus-sasl (IIRC) to build without MySQL support since I avoid MySQL wherever possible and see no sense in having it compiled in when I don't need it smile

Board footer