You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-15 09:16:09

Ruckus

Resolving hostname depending on local network?

I have a basic networking question. On my laptop, when I'm connected to my home wireless network, I'd like home.example.com to resolve to my home servers local IP address, 192.168.1.100. But if I'm not connected to that network, I'd like it to resolve as a normal DNS request (e.g, perform the lookup).

I'm using wicd as my network manager.

Edit: To clarify a bit more, I have a server on my home network. I would like to be able to mount an SSHFS share no matter where I connect from. If I'm connected to my home network, I'd like to use the internal IP address, 192.1.168.100. If I'm on a different network, I'd like to use the public domain name. The reason I'd like to use the internal IP address if possible, is because it cuts latency in half, as well as if I were to not have Internet access at the home network, it wouldn't fail due to not having access to a DNS server.

Last edited by Ruckus (2009-08-15 09:31:06)

#2 2009-08-15 12:20:34

majiq

Re: Resolving hostname depending on local network?

You essentially have to configure  your home dns server. If your laptop points to the gateway for dns resolution, you can use a program like dnsmasq on the server to setup a dns server, and I think you can specify items in the server's /etc/hosts that dnsmasq will use for name resolution.

Board footer