You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-18 19:36:40

Aaron 'Я' God

netcfg for network with user names

Howdy, gang.

I have tried finding this solution for a while; I thought that it would be easy.

I am trying to use netcfg to gain access to a school network which requires a user name and pass word to gain access to the wireless internet.

What do I use to specify a user name in a netcfg profile file?

#2 2009-08-18 19:55:25

brisbin33
Website

Re: netcfg for network with user names

> ls /etc/network.d/examples/
ethernet-dhcp     ppp                       wireless-open            wireless-wpa
ethernet-iproute  wireless-dbus-wpa         wireless-wep             wireless-wpa-config
ethernet-static   wireless-dbus-wpa-config  wireless-wep-string-key

copy and adjust one of those wep or wpa ones as required.

#3 2009-08-18 21:22:34

tomk
Forum Fellow

If the solution isn't immediately clear from the examples, post the instructions the school gave you about connecting.

Have you been able to connect without using netcfg i.e. using iwconfg/ifconfig/wpa_supplicant/etc?

#4 2009-08-18 21:39:32

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Typically school networks (at least mine) have two stages. First you have to get connected to the wifi, which is normally unsecured (IE, just connect with wireless-open), then you have to open up a browser to input username and password.

But yes, do what tomk says and more help will be forthcoming...

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2009-08-18 23:10:15

Aaron 'Я' God

Thanks for the multiple replies.

Chances are that ngoonee hit it right on the button. I know that my school works like that, but this was my friends school, and the only information that he would give me is that I needed his user name and pass word to connect to the internet. I assumed that when he watched me puzzle in front of my computer for half an hour with out saying any thing that it was not as simple as connecting and then entering the information, but maybe I should have been more rational and tried the easiest solution first.

Board footer