You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-18 10:48:25

aphirst
Website

Software AP to allow a Nintendo DS to connect

I've been wondering about this particular puzzle for a little while now.

The Uni I should be going to this year has a somewhat restrictive connection policy on the network connection in your accommodation. It goes something like:

"At the beginning of term, you tell us the MAC address of your laptop/computer, and we set up your connection such that if any other MAC address is connected, your network connection is disabled".

However, I have been wondering about the possibility of configuring my laptop's internal wireless card to be used as a software access point. I found a guide (section 4.1.2 is of main interest) which suggests that this is possible; but I do not know how this would behave as far as the university connection is concerned. Namely, would using this get my connection blocked?

One of my fellow Archer friends suggests that "since it is using iptables to route packets, the main network should only see your laptop". Would this be the case, or would I need to modify the instructions? (is it even possible)

(Additional Afterthought: What effect would spoofing the DS and the laptop to the same MAC address have?)

ArchLinux | x86_64 | linux-ck-ivybridge
ThinkPad X230 | 12.5" | i5-3320M (2.5GHz) | HD 4000 | 16GB (1600MHz) | 256GB mSATA SSD | 2TB HDD
ThinkPad T430 | 14.1" | i7-3520M (2.9GHz) | GF108M (NVS 5400M) | 16GB (1600MHz) | 256GB mSATA SSD | 1TB HDD | 500GB HDD

#2 2009-08-20 06:52:57

22bsti

Re: Software AP to allow a Nintendo DS to connect

Personally I would just get a router if possible, and use that, their equipment would only see the WAN MAC of the router and not your PC / DS etc.  That would be the most elegant solution IMHO.  Setting up your laptop as an AP would also work if done properly, but I wouldn't do that, seems like alot of work.  Your friend is right, their equipment should  only see your laptop's LAN MAC.  This type of thing (MAC Filtering) is sadly not that uncommon, but is totally useless given how ridiculously easy it is to spoof a mac address, but that is a rant for another time.

Board footer