You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-20 09:16:34

Wintershade
Website

[SOLVED] WINE and NVIDIA issues - scrolling away from fullscreen

Hello again... more problems from me.

I seem to have a problem with my WINE running fullscreen applications, such as games. When I start, say, a fullscreen game, it does start in fullscreen, but if I move my mouse to the right or bottom edge of the screen, the game screen "scrolls away", and I'm shown my desktop (at a lower resolution). When I pull my mouse/touchpad back to the left or upper edge, the screen returns.
I'd love to post screenshots of this, but those show nothing useful sad
(which leads me to a suspicion there might me something wrong with my display configuration - but this is only a suspicion.)

It happens regardless of Compiz or any other window manager, and regardless of the "Graphics" settings in winecfg. This is only the case with WINE; I've tried some native fullscreen games, which work flawlessly.
This is really annoying, as it renders most of the games unplayable.

I have an NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics card, and am running the 64-bit Arch Linux. Here's my xorg.conf and my Xorg.0.log.

I'd be very grateful if someone could help me with this. Thanks!

Last edited by Wintershade (2009-08-20 19:58:14)

Only the best is good enough.

#2 2009-08-20 09:26:13

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] WINE and NVIDIA issues - scrolling away from fullscreen

It really sounds like a compiz 'corner of screen' effect. Use fusion-icon to swap to metacity (or use metacity --replace) and see if that solves it. If it does, then use ccsm to find and change the effect which is being activated by that part of the screen.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2009-08-20 09:49:40

Wintershade
Website

Unfortunately, that doesn't fix it. As I have said, this happens regardless of whether I have a composite window manager or not. Tried Compiz, Metacity, Kwin4 (both composited and non-composited).

edit: SOLVED: I was missing a package named lib32-libxrandr. once I've installed this, it worked. Many thanks to the WINE guys! smile

Last edited by Wintershade (2009-08-20 19:59:34)

#4 2009-08-20 22:21:08

Gen2ly
Website

Hmm, good to hear of a fix on this.  I had this problem too if I understand correctly: the screen would what they call 'pan' or what is sometime called 'virtual-resolution' where moving the mouse to the edges would scroll from the displayed resolution (say 1024x768) to the larger resolution (e.g. 1440x900).  I got this fixed by messing the the games resolution and restarting.  Think this has to do with wine and good the hear about libxrandr fixing it.

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#5 2009-08-20 22:36:53

Wintershade
Website

there was also a workaround I came to, but it was a messy one compared to this. the idea was to make a batch script for every game I would install, which would first call the xrandr <resolution>, then wine the game, and after that xrandr back to my desktop resolution. needless to say I had this as a last resort, since this would mess up changing the ingame resolution, and don't even get me started about the mess it makes on the desktop smile

Board footer