You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-13 15:24:36

Malstrond

[Solved] vconfig<->udev interface naming conflict

Hi everyone,
I'm trying to set up some VLANs on a headless PC that acts as my router.
The naming scheme for vconfig is set_name_type DEV_PLUS_VID_NO_PAD.
On other distributions, VLAN interfaces are normally named eth0.5, eth0:5 or something similar, but vconfig add eth0 5 results in an interface named eth0.5_rename.
I suspect that this is a conflict with udev, as I have SUBSYSTEM=="net", ATTRS{address}=="mac:of:this:nic", NAME="eth0" in /etc/udev/rules.d/10-network.rules and the new virtual interface has the same MAC address as eth0, so udev tries to rename it to eth0, which it can't because it already exists, so _rename is appended instead.
But if I don't use this udev rule, the names of my NICs are constantly switching around when rebooting.
I read something about adding an additional line to the udev rules, but /etc/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules.optional already includes the mentioned DRIVERS=="?*".
Does anyone have an idea on how to stop this behavior? I already made aliases for ethX.Y_rename so I don't have to type it out all the time, but this only leads to me forgetting it when editing config files and wondering why nothing works. It also somehow conflicts with my conception of tidiness. big_smile

Edit: Marking as solved

Last edited by Malstrond (2009-08-24 10:35:51)

#2 2009-08-24 10:35:34

Malstrond

Re: [Solved] vconfig<->udev interface naming conflict

Well, I just load the modules by listing them in rc.conf in the correct order now instead of autoloading them and removed the udev rule. It's even in the Wiki, I could have thought of that earlier.

Board footer