You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-11 02:36:27

dekernel

MySQL Document

I was wondering if anybody has a link to the MySQL version 4.1.8 manual for a pdf document in English. Everything I found on the MySQL website links to the 5.0 BETA :cry:

I spent some time Googleing but with no real luck. I need the pdf because of printing purposes.

#2 2005-01-11 03:11:20

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: MySQL Document

It looks like the mysql doc includes things from both...
you can see on one of the mirrors..
http://mirror.services.wisc.edu/mysql/d … shell.html

1.3.2 is about version 4.1 features, and then 1.3.3 is about version 1.3.3 features.
I think most of the doc is like this, including parts of each..
Don't take my word for it though..

Anyway, pdf link.
http://mirror.services.wisc.edu/mysql/D … manual.pdf

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2005-01-11 13:11:23

dekernel

Thanks for the links, but they aren't quite what I am looking for. The last link is again for the 5.0.x BETA and the first link is for the HTML document which does me no real good for printing purposes.

#4 2005-01-11 20:09:37

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

if you read the preface in the pdf, it tells you the following:

This is the Reference Manual for the MySQL Database System. It documents MySQL up to Version 5.0.3-alpha, but is also applicable for older versions of the MySQL software (such as 3.23 or 4.0-production) because functional changes are indicated with reference to a version number.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2005-01-12 00:57:24

dekernel

Sorry for being picky, but I was warned by someone developing on 4.0.x that the best thing to have is the version of the doc that matches what you have installed. He has run across some minor changes that caused problems.

I will most likely use the latest version and hope for the best. roll

#6 2005-01-12 01:02:22

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

you could always try emailing the mysql dev team, or ask on their mailing list or something..

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#7 2005-01-12 01:21:12

dp
Website

dekernel wrote:

Sorry for being picky, but I was warned by someone developing on 4.0.x that the best thing to have is the version of the doc that matches what you have installed. He has run across some minor changes that caused problems.

it's the same with php:

try to use

try{

}catch{

}

in php4 ... and you will see what i mean ;-) ... it IS in the docs ... but it does not work with php4 (it is explicitely written that it is only for php5, but as it is a much better way, you begin to hate, that you must develop on php4 (because some admin is to lazy to update the webserver my app should run to php5))

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#8 2005-01-12 06:02:09

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

dp wrote:
dekernel wrote:

it's the same with php:

try to use

try{

}catch{

}

word. It is even worse when you then realize that you are the admin!
lol
in php4 ... and you will see what i mean ;-) ... it IS in the docs ... but it does not work with php4 (it is explicitely written that it is only for php5, but as it is a much better way, you begin to hate, that you must develop on php4 (because some admin is to lazy to update the webserver my app should run to php5))

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#9 2005-01-12 12:46:31

tomk
Forum Fellow

Would you consider downloading the 4.1.8 Manual as HTML, and then converting it to PDF?

#10 2005-01-12 17:34:22

dekernel

Would you consider downloading the 4.1.8 Manual as HTML, and then converting it to PDF?

My first attempt failed horribly because the link is actually composed of two documents. "index.html" contains the index and then manual.html has the info. My combining before printing was not very good.

#11 2005-01-12 17:47:05

dekernel

In addition, the index was missing the page numbers which is much needed with PDF documents.

Board footer