You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-01 14:29:02

thea

auctex in Emacs 23 doesn't work properly (maybe not at all)

I haven't used auctex for writing latex for probably a year, but in looking at the changes in Emacs 23 I noticed that while I can view my latex files ok, I can't really work with them. A deliberate mistake in my latex syntax goes unchallenged when I attempt to save the .tex file, and when saving, only a .tex file is produced.

I've noticed a lot of complaints about Emacs 23 and AUCTeX from the Debian community.

I tried re-installing the auctex package, checked the lines in my .emacs file, and still no LaTeX.

Thea

#2 2009-09-01 17:08:00

madalu

Re: auctex in Emacs 23 doesn't work properly (maybe not at all)

thea wrote:

I haven't used auctex for writing latex for probably a year, but in looking at the changes in Emacs 23 I noticed that while I can view my latex files ok, I can't really work with them. A deliberate mistake in my latex syntax goes unchallenged when I attempt to save the .tex file, and when saving, only a .tex file is produced.

I haven't experienced any problems with AUCTeX and Emacs 23. But then again, I'm not really sure what behavior you are describing here. Do you have a hook enabled that invokes latex whenever you try to save the file? In my experience, compiling the tex source is not normally associated with saving a file.

I tried re-installing the auctex package, checked the lines in my .emacs file, and still no LaTeX.

A bit more detail would help here. Do you mean that AUCTeX is not loaded when you open a .tex file? Or that you can't invoke latex from AUCTeX?

Here are the lines that work for me. (The hooks are optional, of
course.)

(load "auctex.el" nil t t)
(load "preview-latex.el" nil t t)

(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook '(lambda ()           
                 (TeX-fold-mode 1)
                 (outline-minor-mode 1)
                   ))

#3 2009-09-01 17:24:00

bender02

I use auctex with the new emacs without problems. I also don't quite understand what's the problem you're experiencing. Some more explanation would be helpful.

#4 2009-09-02 15:19:53

thea

I agree, more info would be helpful, but the only message I was getting was from pdfTeX, which was:
(Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)

The behaviour in question, in regard to Emacs, was the following. My routine is to bring a .tex file in Emacs, edit it, and then compile using the latex command -- for me, this always brings up a save dialog. So I save it, and then am informed either a) of errors resulting from the latex compilation, or b) that so and so many pages were produced, ie. success. The (new) behaviour in question was: after the save dialogue (Emacs saves the edited file), a message appeared in the console informing me that [0] latex errors were found. Apart from this atypical and erroneous message (after deliberately creating latex errors), no latex files were produced, regardless of whether there were errors or not.

So then I tried it manually in a terminal, and got the same helpful message as above -- (Fatal format file error; I'm stymied).

Now I have removed the texlive and auctex packages, installed texlive locally from the web, and I have no problem producing LaTeX files. So in a way the problem is solved, as far as I am concerned -- I do not need to use LaTeX very often, and I certainly don't have time to spend on troubleshooting in this perhaps neglected corner of my work. But I suspect there is a bug with the Arch texlive package.

thea

#5 2009-09-02 16:11:57

bender02

This has nothing to do with auctex. Texlive problem. See http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 57#p607557

Board footer