You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-05 16:34:40

amw2320

Network manager vpn kde

I'm having trouble connecting to a VPN through network manager on KDE. I think my biggest problem is understanding the structure of Network Manager, can anyone help me out.

I have Network Manager running and configuring my wireless client perfectly through networkmanager-plasmoid.

I would like to setup a vpn through pptp.  I tried to set this up through the plasmiod but it doesn't really do anything.  I understand this is still alpha, so it may just not work.

I have installed networkmanager-pptp through aur.  But what is this doing? It seems like in gnome this has a gui. Is this purely a gui or a backend as well.

Should I be manually setting up a vpn with pptp? It seems like the point of networkmanager is to configure this for me (or is network manager only going to start this and tell me when it is running).

Thanks for any help.

#2 2009-09-05 17:37:21

frankieboy

Re: Network manager vpn kde

Currently, the plasmoid is in heavy development, so I recommend to remove it with pacman -R, and use the gnome networkmanager frontend. Use the connection editor, enter the gateway, username, password, domain, use the special button to choose the authentication method (pap, chap, mschap, mschapv2, choose only one, if the login fails, try another). On the ipv4 tab, use the routing button, and enter the routing info, e.g. 192.168.1.0, 255.255.255.0, and disable automatic routing.

Hope that helps.

Board footer