You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-27 18:42:30

kapz
Website

[Solved]:How to Manage 2 LAN cards with WICD

Hi all,

I have recently added an additional lan card to my system. Its configured and runs fine.
However the concern is that I use WICD to manage my broadband internet connection through LAN1 and now I want to use LAN2 to connect to Linux/Win client laptop/desktop to share data and internet connection but WICD can manage one interface at a time and with WICD enabled I cant use Arch network daemon(as per wicd archwiki)... how to manage two cards with WICD enabled??

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by kapz (2009-10-04 22:00:39)

I wonder how it would be like to use the rest 99% of my brain..:P

Registered Linux User: 487155

#2 2009-08-29 05:12:34

djszapi
Website

Re: [Solved]:How to Manage 2 LAN cards with WICD

Hello kapz!

WICD manages here well my pci+usb wlan card too, You can change the card to configure the other settings too.

#3 2009-08-29 09:02:45

kapz
Website

Hi djszapi! smile
Well WICD shows eth and wlan together on scrren to manage..fine.
But I dont have wlan but two LANs instead, and when I change wired interface in WICD preferences it will just show the IP of one - the active LAN card, whereas i require two LAN cards to be managed simultaneously...please advise if am missing something in preferences?

#4 2009-08-29 11:25:53

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

I don't think its possible to use wicd-client to do this. You may have to just take the plunge and use netcfg. Considering lan interfaces normally don't vary much (DHCP or static, basically) netcfg should be very easy.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2009-09-02 20:18:40

kapz
Website

Hi and thankls ngoonee, but then I rather use arch network than netcfg coz its not gui, and yep its not possible with wicd to manage two different lan cards simultaneously,tried and tested everything.Anyways i used wicd only coz it showed icon in sys tray(the lan cable keeps movin a lot so icons are really handy to make out if cable is connected or not). Well the only solution I could find is to manage it via arch network daemon, editing rc.conf and stuff...btw wen on my quest I found this archassistant tool, and its quite handy to 'manage' arch system including netcfg.
But m curious though, what more netcfg has to offer than that to default network daemon?
Thanks in advance smile

Cheers.

#6 2009-09-02 22:44:03

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Default network daemon requires editing details directly into your rc.conf. Netcfg abstracts it to /etc/network.d/*profile_name*, and allows you to just $netcfg *profile_name* to connect to a network when you want to, or $netcfg down *profile_name* when you don't want to be connected. Network daemon just has a list that it tries, and that's it, anything else, you're on your own.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#7 2009-09-05 18:00:40

kapz
Website

Oh..so basically profiles is a advantage of netcfg, could be very handy, will give it a try.
Anyways thanks for posting.

Board footer