i think xscreensaver is causing a hard crash on my machine.
i have left my machine compiling a few times only to come back and find an unrecoverable black screen. it is a laptop. i have acpi disabled in the xscreensaver options and i have not built suspend or suspend 2 in the kernel - i have had probelms with suspend in teh past which is why i avoid it anyway.
today tho i was editing a script when xscreensaver kicked in i jiggled the mouse to stop it (it is on fade setting) and the screen went black and locked up - does that sound like xscreensaver is causing it?
This is similar to the problem I'm having, last night when I left my desktop machine on over night with xscreensaver running, I came back to find it hardlocked. But the numerous nights before this when the machine was left running it had no problems. I'll try and find some more info when I get home
mov ah, 0
am having severe hard crash issues :cry:
the crash occurs at differnet times - the most notible (only) times are when i tried to close rox filer windows in fluxbox (x2) (rox filer and fluxbox are tried and tested versions!) and the other time is when xscreensaver kicks in - it seems to be ok when i lock the screen but when i leave it and come back i have an unrecoverable balck screen (x4).
i dunno if it is various things casuing the issue as i have changed so much recently! here is what i have got and how i have tried to rule it out:
nitro4 custom kernel
* switched back to stock kernel
* have also tried various clock tick speeds - this one has 200, my previous ones had 500, maybe it could be that
* had no probs AFAIR with nitro2 on 2.6.10 and nitro4 on 2.6.9
gtk2 + libglade
* could this be screwing up rox and xscreensaver?
screwing around with recompiling bash
* have been recompiling bash to try and use the bashdb debugger but I have replaced the custom version of bash with the stock version (maybe it is only doing the crashes when i have the custom version installed for testing?)
* to test reiser4 on my var partition, could this in anyway be causing the crashes do we think?
* i still have an old var part on ext3 that i can swap to for testing
any ideas and approaches appreciated!
ok, my test is to run the preview in xscreensaver, this causes the hard lock
i reinstalled the stock bash and tried older versions of xscreensaver, gtk2 and libglade - the crash still occurs so scratch those.
i have tried with other kernels - the crash does not occur with stock arch kernel 2.6.10-3 or a 2.6.9 -nitro4 kernel. the crash only seems to occur with the latest nitro2 and nitro4 kernels.
i am going to compile -cko3 and -mm3, they both have the features i need, and see if they are affected.