You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-16 04:01:51

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

custom 200HZ clock tick speed in kernel causing hard crash

i think xscreensaver is causing a hard crash on my machine.

i have left my machine compiling a few times only to come back and find an unrecoverable black screen.  it is a laptop.  i have acpi disabled in the xscreensaver options and i have not built suspend or suspend 2 in the kernel - i have had probelms with suspend in teh past which is why i avoid it anyway.

today tho i was editing a script when xscreensaver kicked in i jiggled the mouse to stop it (it is on fade setting) and the screen went black and locked up - does that sound like xscreensaver is causing it?

#2 2005-01-17 08:07:55

corky

Re: custom 200HZ clock tick speed in kernel causing hard crash

This is similar to the problem I'm having, last night when I left my desktop machine on over night with xscreensaver running, I came back to find it hardlocked.  But the numerous nights before this when the machine was left running it had no problems.  I'll try and find some more info when I get home

mov ah, 0
int 16h

#3 2005-01-19 05:49:19

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

am having severe hard crash issues  :cry:

the crash occurs at differnet times - the most notible (only) times are when i tried to close rox filer windows in fluxbox (x2) (rox filer and fluxbox are tried and tested versions!) and the other time is when xscreensaver kicks in - it seems to be ok when i lock the screen but when i leave it and come back i have an unrecoverable balck screen (x4).

i dunno if it is various things casuing the issue as i have changed so much recently!  here is what i have got and how i have tried to rule it out:

nitro4 custom kernel
* switched back to stock kernel
* have also tried various clock tick speeds - this one has 200, my previous ones had 500, maybe it could be that
* had no probs AFAIR with nitro2 on 2.6.10 and nitro4 on 2.6.9

gtk2 + libglade
* could this be screwing up rox and xscreensaver?

screwing around with recompiling bash
* have been recompiling bash to try and use the bashdb debugger but I have replaced the custom version of bash with the stock version (maybe it is only doing the crashes when i have the custom version installed for testing?)

reiser4
* to test reiser4 on my var partition, could this in anyway be causing the crashes do we think?
* i still have an old var part on ext3 that i can swap to for testing

any ideas and approaches appreciated!

#4 2005-01-20 05:19:41

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

ok, my test is to run the preview in xscreensaver, this causes the hard lock

i reinstalled the stock bash and tried older versions of xscreensaver, gtk2 and libglade - the crash still occurs so scratch those.

i have tried with other kernels - the crash does not occur with stock arch kernel 2.6.10-3 or a 2.6.9 -nitro4 kernel.  the crash only seems to occur with the latest nitro2 and nitro4 kernels.

i am going to compile -cko3 and -mm3, they both have the features i need, and see if they are affected.

#5 2005-02-21 06:03:00

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

The problem was setting the clock tick speed to 200Hz - DOH! don't try that at home kids!

Board footer