You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-01 02:02:03

XtrmGmr99

Problems with ArchAssistant, and some misc questions about it...

Hello,

I've recently re-installed Arch on my laptop after a few months going Linux-less, and I'm running into some problems.

Arch can't seem to get a good connection on my wireless.

This is the problem: I've currently gotten ArchAssistant to run on KDE4 startup. When it starts, it says it connects successfully to my WEP network, which it does... Kinda...

It connects to the router, but the IP address is all outta whack and I can't ping any external websites. I can get to my routers config page fine though. Connecting through ArchAssistant, I get 67.220.194.133 assigned to my wireless interface when I should be getting a 192.168.1.# IP. However, when connecting through the `iwconfig` command followed by a `dhcpcd`, I connect fine and can get to the internet. Also, I can connect to unprotected networks just fine (ie: today at college).

I dunno what's going on, any help?

Also, I have a few questions:
1) Whenever logging on, I always get a pop-up message from ArchAssistant in the upper-left corner of my screen where it shouldn't be. Anyone else get this? Is it fixable?

2) Is there any way to make ArchAssistant look better? I know that when I run it from my user without using `sudo` all the corners hove round edges and there are no graphical glitched. However, nothing works without running it with `sudo` (I have the autostart command give `sudo archassistant` on login). Any way to get it to look like it should?

3) ArchAssistant was very finicky about permissions and such. To counter this, I added my user (ryan) to the `network` group, and assigned the /etc/network.d directory to the network group:

[ryan@ryan-laptop ~]$ ls -la /etc | grep network.d
drwxrwxr-x  3 root network  4096 2009-08-31 21:42 network.d

Additionally, I made some adjustments to the /etc/sudoers file to give my user the right to run ArchAssistant with root privilages and no needed possword when logging in. Can someone just go over this and see if I missed anything?

# sudoers file.
#
# This file MUST be edited with the 'visudo' command as root.
# Failure to use 'visudo' may result in syntax or file permission errors
# that prevent sudo from running.
#
# See the sudoers man page for the details on how to write a sudoers file.
#

# Host alias specification

# User alias specification

# Cmnd alias specification

# Defaults specification

# Runas alias specification

# User privilege specification
root    ALL=(ALL) ALL

# Uncomment to allow people in group wheel to run all commands
%wheel  ALL=(ALL) ALL

# Same thing without a password
%wheel    ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /sbin/ifconfig,/usr/sbin/iwconfig,/sbin/dhcpcd,/usr/bin/archassistant,/usr/bin/ksystemlog,/usr/bin/netcfg,/usr/bin/netcfg-auto-wireless,/usr/bin/netcfg2,/bin/hostname,/usr/sbin/lspci
%wheel localhost=/sbin/shutdown -r now

# Samples
%users  ALL=/sbin/mount /cdrom,/sbin/umount /cdrom
%users  localhost=/sbin/shutdown -h now

Thanks in advance, everyone. big_smile

#2 2009-09-02 02:47:14

XtrmGmr99

Re: Problems with ArchAssistant, and some misc questions about it...

I still haven't found a solution to this problem and google isn't helping at all.

#3 2009-09-05 17:31:22

XtrmGmr99

Bump, still haven't found a solution

#4 2009-09-05 17:40:01

thayer
Fellow
Website

I've never even heard of ArchAssistant...maybe you should try contacting the developer.  It sounds to me like your connection issues are related to that tool since using traditional methods of connection work fine.

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#5 2009-09-08 06:58:30

XtrmGmr99

thayer wrote:

I've never even heard of ArchAssistant...maybe you should try contacting the developer.  It sounds to me like your connection issues are related to that tool since using traditional methods of connection work fine.

0_o You've never heard of it? When I was using Arch just a few months ago it was the most recommended GUI frontend for netcfg...

Board footer