You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-08 14:32:52

bili

Autostarted apps are having no internet connection

Hi
I set up Archlinux with XFCE successfully on my netbook. There is only one thing which does not work as it should. When I power on the machine and I have no connection to the internet, my autostarted applications(pidgin, dropbox) are not able to connect, when I get a internet connection. So I made two startup scripts, which starts the two apps 20 seconds later. When I am at home this works flawlessy, but in school this does not help because the connection takes longer and sometimes I have no connection. But it is a pain, to restart this applications and it is the last thing which does not work as it should ;-)

I use WICD for managing my networks, which does his job well. I am also member of the network group. I do not know what to do now, because I cannot know the exact problem.

If you need further information, I will provide it. It would be great if anybody can help me!

Thank you!

#2 2009-09-09 00:49:12

Trent

Re: Autostarted apps are having no internet connection

I use netcfg-auto to start networking on boot, long (relatively) before any of that stuff appears.  It does occasionally take a while to connect, and unless you background it will slow the boot process, but it means you are always 100% connected by the time X comes up (unless of course no networks are available).  Just my 2 cents...

#3 2009-09-09 00:51:53

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Maybe you could alter the script to check if the network is up at regular intervals and only launch the apps once it appears to be. You should probably add a timeout to that though so that it doesn't check forever if there is no network (or maybe keep increasing the query interval).

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#4 2009-09-09 13:00:54

bili

I thought about the two options before, but it has to work, i do not know why it does not.
To rewrite the script I may have not the time, and the solution with netcfg is prettier and it looks easier :-)
WIth netcfg, the boot proces will hold on until a connection is etablished?(when not in background)

Thank you both for your replies. I will wait one or two days longer, maybe anyone knows the problem.

EDIT: I could not wait and tried netcfg *gg* It is great and easy, hehe. But I have one question, what is the difference between wireless-dbus and without dbus, in the example files? The description says that wpa_supplicant is used with dbus waht what makes the difference? Do you know this?

Last edited by bili (2009-09-09 15:23:16)

Board footer