You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-10 04:59:30

gkarchie

Can't connect to internet via wireless

I am unable to connect to the internet via wireless on a consistent basis I can ping my router every time though. When the internet works it seems to be completely random. I tried some fixes posted on the forums for problems similar to mine like, setting my default gateway and using open dns servers, but neither of those fixes seemed to help with my set up. Any ideas?

My wireless card uses the Ralink rt 2760 chipset. Thanks

#2 2009-09-10 05:35:19

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Can't connect to internet via wireless

What are the characteristics of the wireless networks to which you are trying to connect?

Are they managed or ad-hoc?
Are they WEP?
Are they WPA?

If the link is encrypted but the NIC isn't, the NIC will associate with the network and a ping will work, but any packet containing actual data (like a DHCP request, any TCP or UDP request, SNMP, etc... ) will fail.

As a quick test, if you have administrative rights to your access point, turn off WEP and WPA and see if you can connect.  I advise you turn encryption back on when you are done with the experiment.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer