You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-16 14:55:21

Pupwiz
Website

Wireless network works but boot errors

Hi all 1st off I would like to say after deciding to switch to Linux about a month ago and going through Mandrake Gentoo and now Arch. I have found this distro to be the most user friendly that I have come a cross and big thanks to the people who made and support it. I spent a couple days setting up my Compaq Presario laptop and doing some debugs but seem to have everything working well almost everything the power button don't work but not this issue for here. I set up my Linksys v4B with ndiswrapper and everything works ok with it but the boot always stalls at the starting network and then says fail but when system finish booting and Xserver is up the network works fine. The question is why does it stall and say failed and how do I fix the fail error when it boots so its not stalling on it. Anyone have how to get the power buttons working on the laptop also would be a big help I have to unplug and pull the battery to get it to shutoff not a big deal though.

Keep in mind I am a month into Linux and still very noobish
I don't understand a lot of the commands that I issue as of yet but I follow
instructions quite well or I wouldn't have got this far.

Thanks In advance Pup

#2 2005-01-17 14:36:12

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Wireless network works but boot errors

Can't help you with ndiswrapper, but you'll need to implement APM or ACPI to sort out your power management. If it's a newish laptop, use ACPI (pacman -Sy acpid acpi), otherwise go for APM (pacman -Sy apmd).

Here's a useful link.

#3 2005-01-17 21:02:43

smoochie

Hello pup!

1.) To find out why the network startup is failing try this. First find out which daemon you are running by looking at the daemon array in /etc/rc.conf. It should be either wireless or network or possibly both. If you are unsure post your rc.conf here. Once you have figured out which it is then run it manually after booting like this:

From the command line as root.

for network daemon:

/etc/rc.d/network stop
sh -x /etc/rc.d/netork start

for wireless daemon:

/etc/rc.d/wireless stop
sh -x /etc/rc.d/wireless start

If you don't understand the output just post it here.

2.) For the power down problem. How are you attempting to shut down? Do you use GDM, KDM or do you issue shutdown -h 0 from the command line? If after using one of these methods does your computer then just not power off? If it doesn't, can you power off by holding the power button down for approximately 5 seconds? Removing the battery to power down is going to lead to trouble so we better work this out before the netwroking thing.

Thanks,
Jason

#4 2005-01-17 23:14:06

Pupwiz
Website

but you'll need to implement APM or ACPI to sort out your power management.

Thanks tomk that did the trick must not have read that in the manuel but it fixed me up just fine thanks again.

@smoochie

I have both wired and wireless but for the wireless I am using ndiswrapper in the modules section  of the rc.conf I may have an error in how I tried to setup the info

#
# Networking
#
HOSTNAME="LapTop"

#
# Module to load at boot-up (in this order)
#   (prefix a module with a ! to disable it)
#
MODULES=(snd-ali5451 natsemi ohci_hcd ndiswrapper !usbserial !ide-scsi)

#
# Interfaces to start at boot-up (in this order)
# Declare each interface then list in INTERFACES
#   (prefix an interface in INTERFACES with a ! to disable it)
#
# Note: to use DHCP, set your interface to be "dhcp" (eth0="dhcp")
#
lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(lo eth0)
wlan0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(lo wlan0)
#
# Routes to start at boot-up (in this order)
# Declare each route then list in ROUTES
#   (prefix a route in ROUTES with a ! to disable it)
#
gateway="default gw 192.168.0.1"
ROUTES=(!gateway)

#
# Daemons to start at boot-up (in this order)
#   (prefix a daemon with a ! to disable it)
#
DAEMONS=(syslogd klogd !pcmcia network netfs crond)

# End of file

thats what I have basically

#5 2005-01-18 00:34:37

smoochie

There is one small problem with that. Instead of declaring INTERFACES twice just add as many as you need to the array.
change...

lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(lo eth0)
wlan0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(lo wlan0) 

to...

lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
eth0="dhcp"
wlan0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(lo wlan0 eth0) 

After making the change run the stop/start sequence I mentioned above and post the output of sh -x /etc/rc.d/network start.

EDIT: Also post the output of ifconfig -a after starting your network.

#6 2005-01-18 01:50:31

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

wireless devices don't start in the same manner as normal wired connections... you need to provide (at minimum) the essid as well...

although it may seem like a shameless self-plug, I would suggest taking a look at the wireless scripts I have in the wiki....
http://wiki2.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless%20setup

#7 2005-01-18 11:13:17

Pupwiz
Website

Changing the INTERFACES line for some reason fixed the problem and the fail line no longer shows up.

Thanks smoochie

@phrakture

Don't worry about the plug I followed you lines in the wiki to get my wireless going so I am using your setup I guess I wasn't sure how to handle both wired and wireless together. There is no fail on the network now on boot so this must have been the answers I was looking for.

Thanks again

Man I love this distro of Linux I have never been so addicted to try  to get things going as I have with this version

Thanks again for all the help

Pup

on to find the next problem

#8 2005-01-18 23:49:51

Pupwiz
Website

New today after kernel update can't get wireless to work any more with ndiswrapper. I have back traced all the steps to reinstall the ndiswrapper and the module that worked with it but now its no longer working. The lights on the pci card are even going off when I try and do a probe. LOL one day of freedom  :oops:

I didn't think when I sent the pacman -Syu that a kernel update would stop the network setting from working I don't see where anything has change. Do I need to recompile the kernel to get the network running again ???

#9 2005-01-19 00:14:26

smoochie

That stinks.
Any time you upgrade kernel versions you do need to reinstall ndiswrapper. Which it seems you did.
So let me get this straight. When you load the ndiswrapper module the lights to your pci card turn off?
After loading the module, run the iwconfig command. Does it show wlan0?

Thanks,
Jason

#10 2005-01-19 00:34:28

Pupwiz
Website

I did re-install the ndiswrapper and also the net inf file although it says the module is still there. iwconfig gives me no wireless extensions

I'm not sure what happened but it won't come back up if I mess around the light that tells me that its powered up goes out.

Lost on this one thank goodness it has a wire connection also but I'd like to get it running again.

:oops:

#11 2005-01-19 01:01:03

smoochie

ok. try this.
modprobe -r ndiswrapper

ndiswrapper -l
Remove all drivers listed using: ndiswrapper -e [nameOfDriver] (I think -e is the remove flag but check man page for sure)

Reinstall ndiswrapper.

Load your inf file again.

modprobe -v ndiswrapper   (post ouput here)
dmesg | grep ndiswrapper (post output here)

#12 2005-01-19 02:59:28

Pupwiz
Website

here's the output from the console from the commands requested

[root@LapTop ~]# ndiswrapper -i /lib/windrivers/NET8180.INF
Installing net8180

[root@LapTop ~]#
[root@LapTop ~]#
[root@LapTop ~]#
[root@LapTop ~]# modprobe -v ndiswrapper
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.10-ARCH/misc/ndiswrapper.ko
[root@LapTop ~]# dmesg|grep ndiswrapper
ndiswrapper: no version for "struct_module" found: kernel tainted.
ndiswrapper version 0.12 loaded (preempt=yes,smp=yes)
ndiswrapper: driver net8180 (Realtek,10/07/2004,5.173.1007.2004) added
ndiswrapper version 0.12 loaded (preempt=yes,smp=yes)
ndiswrapper: driver net8180 (Realtek,10/07/2004,5.173.1007.2004) added
[root@LapTop ~]# iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

sit0      no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

[root@LapTop ~]#
[root@LapTop ~]#

Found kernel tainted what does that mean and can I just go back to the old kernel for now?

#13 2005-01-20 04:01:44

smoochie

The tainted kernel message isn't a problem.
Unfortunately I'm stumped.
When I load ndiswrapper my dmesg shows:

ndiswrapper version 1.0rc2 loaded (preempt=yes,smp=no)
ndiswrapper: using irq 18
wlan0: ndiswrapper ethernet device 00:90:4b:78:26:40 using driver bcmwl5
ndiswrapper: driver bcmwl5 (Broadcom,07/17/2003, 3.30.15.0) added

Maybe try upgrading to ndiswrapper to 1.0rc2?
Also make sure that there are no errors in dmesg. They may have been missed because of the grep.
Another thing I found on the ndiswrapper wiki is that some cards with your chipset had problems with the pciid and this was causing problems for some cards. Check out the Linksys WPC11 listing here: http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/phpw … x.php/List Although, since you previously had the card working I doubt that is your problem.

One other thing. My mini pci card wouldn't power on after I upgraded the ndiswrapper module. However I could see the wlan0 interface and dmesg looked the same as after I fixed it. I was able to fix it by going into /etc/ndiswrapper/bcmwl5/14e4:4320.conf and changed the powerstate parm from 1 to 0. bcmwl5 is my driver name and 14e4:4320 is my card's pciid. Play around with it some more. You'll figure it out. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

#14 2005-01-22 20:51:24

apeiro
Daddy
Website

phrakture wrote:

wireless devices don't start in the same manner as normal wired connections... you need to provide (at minimum) the essid as well...

The arch boot scripts have a rudimentary understanding of wireless interfaces now.  Install wireless_tools and check out /etc/conf.d/wireless.

Board footer