You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-31 11:24:46

peque

Using Nagios/snmp

Well is there someone who have made a guide to how to setup SNMP on Arch.

I have installedthe packeage but cannot see the meanning with it - Should I self made the directory´s etc.

I would like to use nagios to check CPU/DISK AND RAM on my servers ?? But cannot figure it out how the conf and where to set the different files ???

Any suggestions are welcome -

PS Happy newyear!!!

P

Just getting better .... All the time

#2 2006-12-31 17:06:07

Snarkout

Re: Using Nagios/snmp

You're really going to need to read through the nagios docs for the answers to your questions.  I have never installed nagios on arch, but generally it installs a few sample configs with sample MIBs in them which you can use for most things.  You'll also need to configure apache.  Recent installations I've done have a file called "minimal.cfg" in them - take a look there if you only have a few boxen to monitor.  It's a good starting point no matter what you need to do, though.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein

#3 2007-01-01 07:45:27

peque

All that is done - its up and running and working after my needs.
I have installed it now for at couple of times - for some different companies - But all of them are running M$ on most servers.

For getting it to work here at home on my own servers - where its *nix machines(Arch Servers) I have problems about the SNMP install - and getting it to run properly.
The problemn is not nagios etc - its the install of SNMP tools - and setting the rigth Community.
Course as I found out after research here ( When installing the package with pacman - there´s some files missing - /etc/snmp/*  or something like that

#4 2007-01-01 20:27:42

Snarkout

Sounds like you probably want to install nrpe - it's a host service that reports back to nagios.  You'd install it on the boxen that you want to monitor.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein

#5 2007-01-02 08:50:45

peque

Normally - I installs NSCA for distributed monitoring, for that use to get results from other places etc... - but as long as it inside of my own network, I only want the masterNagios to make the checks - and not install on each hosts etc. That´s why SNMP is my choice - but I cannot figure out how am I setting up the SNMP on Arch ?
Well everything working great on the 2 M$-host that I got on the network - so it should be possible to set it up allso on the Linux-host.
Still I only want to have 1 nagios-master - and 1 slave - with no other installations on the other hosts - it should be possible to set up SNMP - I just want to find out how ??

#6 2007-01-03 13:22:28

luca

Hi peque,
in order to configure snmp you can use this command:

snmpconf -g basic_setup

to get a very quick configuration (snmpconf belongs to net-snmp package).

#7 2009-09-12 13:14:29

opotonil

Hi.

You can create a soft link:

# ls -l /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 sep 12 15:01 /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf -> /usr/share/snmp/snmpd.conf

Bye.

--- EDIT ---

Sorry, post mismatch (http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=618027)

Last edited by opotonil (2009-09-12 13:18:05)

Board footer