You are not logged in.

#76 2009-09-14 02:57:29

deng

Re: Kahel OS. Do IT Right.

Hello To Everyone

This is Deng Silorio of 8layer Technologies, Inc. from the Philippines. I am the official spokesperson for our team.

First of all, we would like to come in peace and in the spirit of Open Source and Collaboration, be enlightened in the process.

Last Saturday (our time), we posted in this forum a what we may also call an inappropriate post for this kind of forum since that (particular post) was supposedly for non-linux users and readers.  We could have posted a simple note, it is our bad. 

In other words, the objective of the letter, in effect was not realized and our plain simple and good intents to actually elicit comments for improvement did not materialize.

In the course of the exchanges of messages, we decided that within 24 hours (from this hour) we will be issuing an official statement.

This is also to inform you that our team will also be personally writing to Mr Judd Vinet and Mr Aaron Griffin and the FSF on the underlying issues and submit ourselves for their scrutiny and recommendation.

In the meantime, we appeal for everyones understanding and openness.  We do not in any way would like to create animosity. We would like to reiterate that we only have good intents for you guys and for the hard work that we also do.

Again, our apologies for the post that started to elicit comments that created a bad light for our team.  Thank you Developers and Members of Arch Forum.

Mabuhay!

P.S. You may contact me at my office email i.e. deng@8layertech.com.

Last edited by deng (2009-09-14 05:44:35)

#77 2009-09-14 02:58:29

Allan
Pacman
Website

What is quite amusing about Mardoct's comments, is all the screenshots shown in joelbryan's post are done on AMA Desktop Linux which is a Ubuntu derivative created by him.

#78 2009-09-14 03:01:41

Gen2ly
Website

joelbryan wrote:

We're making everything sure that we credit everyone that is related to our project...

Uhh...  I think you might mean the Arch Linux project?

As for the screenshots, very nice, but I don't think you are going to assuage any thoughts by them.

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#79 2009-09-14 03:46:07

Lexion

Now that your fixing all the problems, it seems much better.  But a general word of advice: don't release anything to the general public until the development community likes it to some extence/thinks it's not horrible.  And it also seems that alot of these problems were caused by misreeding of your english (which is pretty good, but not quite there; especially for marketing).

urxvtc / wmii / zsh / configs / onebluecat.net
Arch will not hold your hand

#80 2009-09-14 04:38:02

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Mardoct wrote:

If you stay with an Arch base, you will have to do more or less everything Ubuntu has already done while contending with Ubuntu.

I strongly disagree. One of the biggest problems with Ubuntu is that it is a complex user-friendly beast built on a complex Linux distribution. The world would be better off with a simple user-friendly system built on a simple Linux distribution.

If the Kahel end product lives up to the marketing hype they're trying to create, it has a lot of potential. I don't think it has any potential for harm. It seems backwards to most of us to create marketing hype before a product, but its common in the business world and don't forget the early Ubuntu releases... they were awful. But Ubuntu's not awful anymore (at least, by their own definition of success), and Kahel could succeed too.

At any rate, its not for us to judge. If there are people who want to put in this effort, why try to dissuade them?

If they *hadn't* rebranded the OS, people would be screaming that they stole our logo. A derivative work has to start somewhere.

Dusty

#81 2009-09-14 05:04:23

Gen2ly
Website

Marketing doesn't have anything to do with success, product does.  Marketing that fails to deliver reflects poorly on the creators. 

"At any rate, its not for us to judge."

Eh?  Dusty are you getting low on poutine? wink

Last edited by Gen2ly (2009-09-14 05:04:42)

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#82 2009-09-14 06:56:19

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Gen2ly wrote:

Marketing doesn't have anything to do with success, product does.

Did you miss the whole Microsoft and Apple marketing machines? hmm tongue

I hope the usage of the Arch repositories is rectified as an urgent matter.

Last edited by fukawi2 (2009-09-14 06:56:48)

#83 2009-09-14 07:17:00

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Gen2ly wrote:

"At any rate, its not for us to judge."

Eh?  Dusty are you getting low on poutine? wink

he's got a point, let us do the right™ thing and just wish them the best of luck with their endeavours.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#84 2009-09-14 10:46:02

korpenkraxar

What a funny coincidence :-D

I was just talking to a friend yesterday how it would be interesting to more, perhaps commercial, open source projects explictly rolling polished iso-images using Archlinux as a foundation, if only to build a few nice desktop isos from it. The collective expertise and technologies of the Debian, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu, Gentoo distros and others have been used for this, so why not Arch to a greater extent?

The technology is great and the community is fantastic. I have never experienced the issues of "alpha quality" or "flakey upgrades" with Arch and the few times that something weird happens, I almost always find that someone else has posted something about the problem too in the forums and already found a solution. There is great value in the project and I sort of expect commercial bodies to follow it with interest.

Even if most of us have no "need" for an Archlinux desktop environment wrapped up in an iso and can make do the "proper" ways of doing things, it make look different for other people. I think it great when people try to think outside the box.

I have to confess that installing Arch on a laptop and using a wifi-connection to download packages while reading the installation guide on lynx gets old pretty quickly. I would be the first to cheer if we had more nice DE images for Archlinux to get rid of some aspectes of the boring and time consuming installation process, iterated weekly by, I would guess, thousands of geeks. Handpicking X11 packages to get the right drivers and fonts is not something anyone learns something meaningful from and that we should proud ourselves too much for that we have to do. The freakin installer should be smart enough to suggest these things for us. I love to *use* Arch, not installing it. If these guys have a nice Gnome-spin, that is great.

That said, I for one welcome more Chakra OSes and less Kahel OSes, the way things look atm. I do not think it is wrong to try making some money on selling support for Archlinux installations and help spreading the use of it in Enterprise and Education. I think that they need to get very clear, pragmatic and practical feedback from the main devs but also the community on how to go about doing the "right" thing instead of the "wrong". I just have a few tips and expect others to be able to have more:

* Solve the copyright issue ASAP
* Apart from separate git-trees for Kahel OS, try making AUR PKGBUILDs which is how much customizations finds their way into the distro
* As a token of gratitude and assess the above leeching-arguments, provide a repository mirror or two
* Offer to help with translations

Last edited by korpenkraxar (2009-09-14 10:48:18)

#85 2009-09-14 11:04:09

Chrysalis

deng wrote:

Hello To Everyone

This is Deng Silorio of 8layer Technologies, Inc. from the Philippines. I am the official spokesperson for our team.

First of all, we would like to come in peace and in the spirit of Open Source and Collaboration, be enlightened in the process.

Last Saturday (our time), we posted in this forum a what we may also call an inappropriate post for this kind of forum since that (particular post) was supposedly for non-linux users and readers.  We could have posted a simple note, it is our bad. 

In other words, the objective of the letter, in effect was not realized and our plain simple and good intents to actually elicit comments for improvement did not materialize.

In the course of the exchanges of messages, we decided that within 24 hours (from this hour) we will be issuing an official statement.

This is also to inform you that our team will also be personally writing to Mr Judd Vinet and Mr Aaron Griffin and the FSF on the underlying issues and submit ourselves for their scrutiny and recommendation.

In the meantime, we appeal for everyones understanding and openness.  We do not in any way would like to create animosity. We would like to reiterate that we only have good intents for you guys and for the hard work that we also do.

Again, our apologies for the post that started to elicit comments that created a bad light for our team.  Thank you Developers and Members of Arch Forum.

Mabuhay!

P.S. You may contact me at my office email i.e. deng@8layertech.com.

And here's an official response from my mom's basement...  NEVER POST AGAIN.

#86 2009-09-14 11:12:54

Allan
Pacman
Website

Hmm...  I think this thread has done its dash....

Kahel appears to have a forum so if there are further queries about that OS, ask them there.  Devs here are readily contacted so the Kahel guys can contact us if they want to clarify anything.

Closing.

Board footer