You are not logged in.

#26 2009-09-15 04:37:44

Chrysalis

Re: first post, newb here.. simple question..

The beginner guide is on the CD last time i checked? So you shouldnt need to print anything. Also the base system is a fully functional cli system with a browser and everything, just get weechat for irc help and you have all you need to work with before you install X. Setting up arch is all redundant stuff which you should know how to do on a linux system so dont think of it as a waste of time - read everything thoroughly and enjoy the learning experience.

#27 2009-09-15 04:39:44

binskipy2u
Banned

could someone tell me if my information on post #18 is a good start?
to get me into a system where i can get a desktop, browse a web, and continue on this forum

"Sometimes you comfort the afflicted, other times you AFFLICT the COMFORTABLE"

#28 2009-09-15 04:56:50

Chrysalis

hal comes with xorg, so just add it to daemons when you install xorg, needs to be running when you first run xorg so either manually start it or reboot after youve addeded to daemons.

Also, that shortlist is basically just a summery of what you need to do, theres configuring that needs to be done on most of those steps which is all explained in the beginners guide.

The best way to do it is just swallow your fear and follow the beginners guide. Consult the full articles of xorg, ati, lxde etc for more info if you dont understand something or ask in irc.

Edit: install gamin (its a better fam, doesnt need any configuring) also for lxde

Last edited by Chrysalis (2009-09-15 05:00:55)

#29 2009-09-15 05:25:31

Chrysalis

Also, its recommended to do a net install so you dont have to go though the upgrade process.

And since we are talking about upgrading, some notes on that... pacman doesnt touch config files (well it backs them up) so the upgrade process is the sum of -Syu AND merging .pacnew files after that, alot like slackware. Miss a critical pacnew or ignore them for long enough and you _will_ end up with a broken system.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pac … save_Files

Last edited by Chrysalis (2009-09-15 05:46:57)

Board footer