You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-05 21:13:41

DePingus

network goes to sleep

Hi there. I've been running Arch for a while and this latest install is about 2 months old. A few weeks ago I started having some weird network behavior. Its almost as if the system is going to sleep.

The PC in question is a server and just sits in a closet. After a while sitting there, I can no longer access the network shares or even ping the system. As soon as I press the ENTER key it works again. Thats it. Just ENTER. I dont have to log in or anything. I can be continuously pinging it with no response and the second I press ENTER it starts responding.

It doesnt matter if Im the middle of streaming a video from the server, it will just cut off. Weird.

I havent messed with my bios in months, so I dont think the problem is there. Dmesg doesnt have anything out of the ordinary on eth0. Perhaps some of you Arch gurus shed some light on this annoying dilema?

Last edited by DePingus (2009-09-06 02:10:42)

#2 2009-09-14 03:03:04

DePingus

Re: network goes to sleep

*bump* roll
I know its frowned upon...but i posted on a long weekend and I still haven't figured this out.

Could mldonkey be the culprit, though I've been running it for a while? Actually, the only new (to me) service I have running is samba...

#3 2009-09-14 12:50:03

techprophet

DePingus wrote:

*bump* roll
I know its frowned upon...but i posted on a long weekend and I still haven't figured this out.

Could mldonkey be the culprit, though I've been running it for a while? Actually, the only new (to me) service I have running is samba...

It's not samba. I have a samba server w/ mediatomb setup and it doesn't sleep.

#4 2009-09-16 02:52:48

DePingus

I don't think its samba either. It locks up when the samba shares aren't being accessed. What gets me is that all I have to do is press ENTER at the login screen and the network starts responding. Sometimes is goes all day without a hitch, others it won't go 45 minutes before dropping.

I just removed Xbox360 Media Server from my daemons list, but its locked up when thats NOT been running too, so I doubt that's it. I'm thinking mldonkey, but I can't figure out why now.

Thanks for your thoughts.

#5 2009-09-16 04:43:03

Mardoct

Can you just get a cron job to route an empty line into STDIN every few minutes? If you want to go the extra mile, secure a CD tray above enter, and do eject  -T every few minutes.

Of course, I'd recommend fixing it rather than just doing this crap, but it's a good patch 'till someone responds.

Last edited by Mardoct (2009-09-16 04:43:47)

The human being created civilization not because of willingness but of a need to be assimilated into higher orders of structure and meaning.

Board footer