You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-18 14:12:21

pere

mount cifs NAS samba real permissions

Hi,

I have a LaCie d2 NAS located in my LAN. This NAS allow SMB access and the file system of the internal hard drive is XFS.
I usually use the NAS from linux mounting the device with mount.cifs.

The situation is as follows:
If I access with mount.cifs, then the permissions for each directory are rwxrwxrwx and for each file are rwxrwSrwx.
If I access through direct connection with USB or FTP then I can see the real permissions and they are different from first case mount.cifs ones.

It does not happen when I mount others Samba resources from a linux server located in the same LAN. In this case the permissions are kept.
Another clue is, gnome try to create a trash directory in the Lacie NAS and not in the Samba server resources. I hate the gnome trash!!!
So, is it possible to detect if there is a hard drive behind a Samba resource?

Is it possible to mount a samba resource keeping the real permissions?

I know that I can apply a mask for both directories and files when I mount the device. But I would like to see the real permissions of each file and directory.

This is the way I usually use to mount samba devices:

mount.cifs //192.168.X.X  /mnt/hd -o user=user%pass,iocharset=utf8

Thanks in advance,

pere

#2 2009-09-18 15:47:30

byte

Re: mount cifs NAS samba real permissions

I don't think that you will get any Windows (network) file system to know about Unix file permissions.

#3 2009-09-18 16:45:04

pere

Re: mount cifs NAS samba real permissions

Thanks,

But when I mount the samba resources from my server, the permissions are kept.
Even when I create a file in the server the permissions are stored right.

The NAS change the original permissions and show another ones and the same when a file or directory is created.
Probably the NAS is appling a mask to show and to create files. The problem is that I do not have the way to change this configuration.
If I use ftp to mount the permissions works.

Board footer