You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-12 23:29:55

colbert

[SOLVED]Web browsing brutally slow, looking up URLs often hangs

I have a normal wired ethernet connection w/Linksys WRT54GS router + cable modem, all has been fine for some time. However I just recently notice that in Firefox/Opera whenever I load up a new page most of the time on the status bar I can see "Looking up imdb.com..." etc. and it hangs there for a good 5-10 seconds, sometimes timing out and I have to reload a few times to get the page to go. Pinging google.ca or what have you in the shell gives normal results, though. All torrents and gaming is going fine, too, no change/slowdown at all there. I am sure it is either some network config I have on the box or perhaps a router setting, I hope someone can help.

I backed up and cleared out my hosts file to see if that was causing the slowdown, this is all I got for now:

#
# /etc/hosts: static lookup table for host names
#

#<ip-address>   <hostname.domain.org>   <hostname>
127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain   localhost       mythbox

# End of file

Not quite sure what other config(s) would be important, if you could help but need any other info I will provide, much appreciate any assistance smile

Last edited by colbert (2009-09-13 00:30:34)

#2 2009-09-12 23:44:18

Pierre
Developer
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Web browsing brutally slow, looking up URLs often hangs

#3 2009-09-13 00:29:22

colbert

Oh my, I completely forgot about that, I had reinstalled recently and it slipped my mind *grrr* Thanks so much Pierre!! smile Fixed.

#4 2009-09-14 23:34:05

claregj

Pierre said Did you try to disable ipv6? http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IPv … the_Module

I want to thank you very much - I have just installed ArchLinux on my laptop, and all was working flawlessly - especially the wireless, the evilwm windows and the caps lock light which have been bugging me for a year or two - and firefox would not find its home page. And now it can, easily. So now I am torn between ArchLinux and my previous love Crux <sigh>.

cheers,
clare

#5 2009-09-20 19:28:55

tcrroadie

Thank you as well Pierre.  Disabling ipv6 also fixed the issue I was having with slow page loading in Firefox and Chromium Browser. 

Kris

Board footer