You are not logged in.

#26 2005-01-22 21:31:41

shadowhand
Website

Re: Blackbox 0.70beta2

Openbox is also excellent, and is a little more user friendly (if you're into that sort of thing.)

·¬»· i am shadowhand, powered by webfaction

#27 2005-01-23 10:25:56

Billy Anachronism

I've been using blackbox for some success for quite some time. The cvs builds for me without any errors.
By the way, they have released beta 3 if that hasn't already been mentioned.

A recently discovered bug also allows me to use the e17 bar, 'engage' which requires a fraction of the resources that the gdesklets starterbar requires (because engage uses opengl). It doesn't interfere with the blackbox taskbar because you are now able to disable it.

So currently, my system is quite the pretty, functional and yet quite minimal (in my opinion of course, if anyone wants a picture I'm in the #archlinux channel on freenode)

[/img]

#28 2005-01-23 12:55:12

FUBAR
Website

I've always been attracted to the "no bloat, all performance"-philosophy behind windows managers such as *box, PekWM, etc... It's just that out-of-the-box they're too minimalistic to be comfortable to work with to my liking: I always ended up installing extra programs like pagers, panels, etc to get a workable desktop.  These extra programs usually are 3rd party programs, and usually are hard to install/config/get to work.
On top of that, configuring the wm itself was a pain in the ass aswell since it consisted of editing text-file after text-file.

I'm running XFce now, which is easy to configure through menus (which I think it the only way for a desktop manager, sorry tongue) but I'm still attracted to the *boxes. Does Blackbox (or any another *box) have comfortable configuration-menus / -programs?

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#29 2005-01-23 22:28:21

shadowhand
Website

FUBAR: Openbox has ObConf, which is a GTK2 graphical config utility. Be warned there is no taskbar of any kind with OB, you would have to use something from ROX or XFCE or Gnome or KDE.

·¬»· i am shadowhand, powered by webfaction

Board footer