You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-24 06:47:25

Ashren
Website

Mediatomb security?

I've set up mediatomb on a secured wireless network and djmount on the receiving machine, which works amazingly well.

So I have a couple of questions:

Is it possible for neighbours without my wireless network key to see mediatomb and browse the files with the webbased UI?
Does setting accounts in the mediatomb config.xml increase security with djmount?
How do you secure UPNP shares?

#2 2009-09-24 06:58:45

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Mediatomb security?

How would they be able to connect to/see Mediatomb, if the network it runs over is secured? They first need access to your network wink.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2009-09-24 07:01:28

Ashren
Website

Duh! You do have a point. Sort of embarrassing I guess.

Need more coffee.

#4 2009-09-24 11:11:34

zenlord
Website

Hi Ashren,

Sorry for the OT, but:

Did you try other uPNP-servers as well, or is Mediatomb your first try? I also tried coherence and fuppes, but neither one of them worked with my TV. Now I have a ps3, I would like to change to coherence, since it looks better from a technical POV. Downside is that is still under heavy development and video transcoding is not yet supported.

#5 2009-09-24 11:30:08

Ashren
Website

Mediatomb was the first thing I tried and it worked instantly without me editing any config files. I had trouble streaming the files with rhythmbox + coherence, so I opted to use djmount, which as stated earlier works perfectly.

It would be better to have a player that would stream directly from mediatomb, but I was unable to find one that actually worked. Tried Linn's Kinsky as well, which was suggested by LXF, but that did not work at all (I suspect it only works with Linn hardware).

#6 2009-09-24 11:32:02

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

zenlord wrote:

Hi Ashren,

Sorry for the OT, but:

Did you try other uPNP-servers as well, or is Mediatomb your first try? I also tried coherence and fuppes, but neither one of them worked with my TV. Now I have a ps3, I would like to change to coherence, since it looks better from a technical POV. Downside is that is still under heavy development and video transcoding is not yet supported.

I used to run fuppes. but it was not as good as mediatomb.  I tried mediatomb and found it to be much more configurable and stuff.

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

Board footer