You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-04 22:41:50

MorningWood

[Solved]Wicd client freezing upon connection of new network

Hey everyone,
So I love my Arch64 install, it's the first linux install that I've kept over 3 months, but I have a few tiny bugs that I would like to get rid of, one of them being my wicd-client problem. It seems that whenever I boot into Arch, sometimes wicd will automatically connect to the network (wireless) and sometimes it won't, and when I try to refresh the available networks and connect to the proper one, the wicd-client window greys itself out/turns grey and freezes. The connection is still valid, I can still surf the web and do everything properly on the connection once I have done so, but it's just a pet peeve of mine to have to keep force ending the wicd-client. I was just wondering if anyone's had this problem before and what could fix it. I tried upgrading to the testing version of wicd but for some strange reason, the wicd system tray icon appears twice and it still continues to freeze upon connecting to the network, if that helps anyone diagnose anything. Any help or pointing me in the right direction for information would be great.
Thank you very much.

Last edited by MorningWood (2009-06-11 14:26:30)

#2 2009-05-15 02:41:44

junminh

Re: [Solved]Wicd client freezing upon connection of new network

i have exactly the same problem! ...
ps. wicd-client use 100% of CPU.
:S

Last edited by junminh (2009-05-15 02:42:16)

#3 2009-05-15 02:55:01

MorningWood

junminh, exactly;I forgot to mention that. If you don't force end the client then cpu use goes up to 100%

#4 2009-05-15 03:33:25

jwcxz
Website

My experience with Wicd is like this.  Perhaps it's related.

I'm on a college campus and all of the APs here have the same ESSID.  When I first start up my computer, Wicd tries to find a good AP to connect to and does so.  When I put my computer to sleep, go somewhere else (e.g. another class) and wake the compy up, I observe the following behavior:

If I just leave it alone, eventually (~5 seconds), the icon in the system tray goes from connected to disconnected.  I then need to go to the client and select a new AP to connect to.  Instead, if I don't want to wait, I wake my computer up from resume, click on the Wicd icon in the system tray.  It then hangs for about 5 seconds or so (I'm guessing that it's trying to find the AP that's no longer listed since I'm now somewhere else) and then proceeds to try connecting to a random access point.  It typically never succeeds in doing this, so I often have to cancel the current connection attempt and connect to the AP of my choice.

tl;dr is that I too experience hanging, but it doesn't usually last more than say 10 seconds.  How long have you left the window open?

Also, the other problem I have is that when I click on the Scripts button, the client hangs permanently and I have to shut it down.

Also, MorningWood, the reason why you are seeing 2 instances of wicd-client open is because wicd-client sometimes automatically inserts itself so that it starts up every time you open an X session.

-- jwc
http://jwcxz.com/ | blog
dotman - manage your dotfiles across multiple environments
icsy - an alarm for powernappers

#5 2009-05-15 14:17:33

junminh

i am using arch 32bit

#6 2009-05-17 22:01:38

MorningWood

jwcxz wrote:

My experience with Wicd is like this.  Perhaps it's related.

I'm on a college campus and all of the APs here have the same ESSID.  When I first start up my computer, Wicd tries to find a good AP to connect to and does so.  When I put my computer to sleep, go somewhere else (e.g. another class) and wake the compy up, I observe the following behavior:

If I just leave it alone, eventually (~5 seconds), the icon in the system tray goes from connected to disconnected.  I then need to go to the client and select a new AP to connect to.  Instead, if I don't want to wait, I wake my computer up from resume, click on the Wicd icon in the system tray.  It then hangs for about 5 seconds or so (I'm guessing that it's trying to find the AP that's no longer listed since I'm now somewhere else) and then proceeds to try connecting to a random access point.  It typically never succeeds in doing this, so I often have to cancel the current connection attempt and connect to the AP of my choice.

tl;dr is that I too experience hanging, but it doesn't usually last more than say 10 seconds.  How long have you left the window open?

Also, the other problem I have is that when I click on the Scripts button, the client hangs permanently and I have to shut it down.

Also, MorningWood, the reason why you are seeing 2 instances of wicd-client open is because wicd-client sometimes automatically inserts itself so that it starts up every time you open an X session.

I actually am on a college campus as well but every time that I try waiting it out (usually at least 5-10 minutes), the cpu usuage spike gets annoying and I just wind up killing wicd-client; it definitely is more than 5-10 seconds though of unresponsiveness. I also have wicd running on a backup i386 laptop but I haven't tried it on campus so I don't know if that freezes or not.

Last edited by MorningWood (2009-05-17 22:02:13)

#7 2009-05-24 22:24:23

lonecat

This happens to me a lot too, everywhere! Whenever I try to *use* wicd-client, it just works, but freezes using 100% of the cpu and I have to kill -9 it...
What's weirder is that on a previous arch install on this very same lap it worked flawlessly.

#8 2009-05-26 22:30:16

MorningWood

For some reason, when using it on my i686 machine, it doesn't tend to freeze, even on campus but my 64 bit machine tends to freeze even at home where I only use one specific network. Would anyone be able to help us out?

#9 2009-05-26 23:02:30

whoops

I only get those freezes when I'm impatient - if I just leave it alone, it refreshes the status and connects without freezes after max. a minute - most times not more than 5-20 seconds.

Had the exact same behaviour before switching to Arch64 (same PC, no hw components changed).

#10 2009-06-07 21:06:57

junminh

found the cause. here it's because of the aurora gtk engine, it has bugs. so you would want to change your gtk theme.
community/gtk-aurora-engine 1.5.1-1 [installed]
all you guys are using aurora??

#11 2009-06-08 00:18:33

MorningWood

Darn, I am. That sucks because Aurora is the best gtk engine for KDE. sad

#12 2009-06-08 05:41:26

MorningWood

well junminh, my man. You indeed are correct. I switched to Clearlooks and it didn't freeze once; turned Aurora on and froze right away. Oh well, clearlooks fits in with my color scheme better. If anyone knows the reason Aurora is causing this or how to patch it please post here but as of now I'm content.

Last edited by MorningWood (2009-06-08 05:42:21)

#13 2009-06-11 12:27:08

oncer

junminh, you are the best. Fixed the problem on my PC by switching GTK engine.

#14 2009-06-11 14:27:15

MorningWood

Don't really know if this topic is technically solved, but thanks to junminh we know how to fix this problem so I marked it solved.
Thanks everyone.

#15 2009-09-22 10:36:00

davidlone

the problem confused me a lot, thanks a lot !

#16 2009-09-29 04:27:56

blitux

I can confirm the fix. I was having the same issue.

I've changed the aurora gtk engine and the problem is fixed. But... wtf? A gtk engine can cause wicd-client hangs?

Thanks.

-=[ bLiTux ]=-

Board footer