You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-04 12:52:12

ThomasC

Xorg/HAL problems [SOLVED]

I've been testing Arch for a couple of weeks in a VM to see if I could configure it to my needs. Everything went fine, so yesterday I started the installation and hoped for the best. I'm having trouble with starting X-server though.

It seems my VGA driver (nvidia) is working fine but HAL is having trouble detecting my keyboard or mouse, disabling hotplugging with "Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"" doesn't avoid the HAL errors work, I also tried using a "/etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-keymap.fdi" file but this doesn't work either. Looking at the logs, it does seem like this is an issue with my keyboard layout?

I'm getting 2 errors depending on what config I'm using
- "(EE) HID 046a:0021: failed to initialize for relative axes."
- "(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (8)" (getting this 7 times each run)

Relevant hardware:
Keyboard: Cherry Model G-224
Mouse: a simple Logitech Optical Wired Mouse
VGA: Nvidia 7600 GS

I've been googling and experimenting for hours and hours with no result. So I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I have tried several ways to generate an xorg.conf file. Here's an overview of each xorg.conf file with each log.

Using my Ubuntu xorg.conf file I backed up from the previous installation
Error: (EE) HID 046a:0021: failed to initialize for relative axes.
xorg.conf
Xorg.0.log

Generated by hwd (I modified the driver nv here to nvidia. Otherwise it would say no drivers available.)
Error: (EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (8)
xorg.conf
Xorg.0.log

Generated by nvidia-xconfig
Xorg.conf
Xorg.0.log

Generated by Xorg -configure
Xorg.conf
Xorg.0.log

Last edited by ThomasC (2009-10-04 14:59:01)

#2 2009-10-04 13:49:03

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Xorg/HAL problems [SOLVED]

Hi there, and welcome.

I trust you already consulted mighty Google (or our own humble forum search) on your problem.

If not, take a look at the following:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=81104
http://www.google.com/search?q=failed%2 … ive%20axes

As you can see the second hit on Google is a topic on this very forum, and the ones following are bug reports. You have some reading to do wink.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2009-10-04 13:52:23

MattSmith

Im no expert on xorg.conf but I thought I would try and help anyway by pasting up my xorg.conf smile

http://dpaste.com/102353/

I am on a laptop so that's why there is twin view stuff in there (for projectors) and synacpics touch pad stuff.. so that can be ignored. If you feel adventurous you can try stair out using my xorg.conf, which should (maybe) work considering 8600 GT and 7600 GS use the same drivers.

hope this helps at least a little.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever

-John Keats

#4 2009-10-04 14:58:25

ThomasC

Well I skipped the X testing and installed Awesome and it works without a problem. Strange that I can't test X without a window manager. But I've been digging into this way too long so gonna tag this solved. Thanks for your answers, it seems like this is a recent bug because all information on those errors is fairly recent.

Board footer