You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-04 20:56:01

GreenLED

Hmm, Something I'm Doing Wrong?

I'm a bit confused on the Arch installation. I've done linux installations before, but this one has me stumped. Here's the situation in review.

1. I had Windows Server 2003 installed.
2. I burned the Arch iso to CD.
3. Restarted, etc. etc. etc.

Ran the install. Pretty much left everything default did Auto on the partitioning.

I did notice a bunch of "grep: No such file or directory" when the packages were being installed. What's going on here? Something isn't adding up. Did my system not get formatted or something? When the installation completed -- I restarted and after Grub began loading the whole thing went to pot -- I was getting panic errors as well as notices telling me that the system could not be booted -- I mean the filesysem could not be mounted. Hmm, any ideas? I'm quite experienced as far as this pc goes, but I'm really scratching my head right now.

#2 2009-10-05 19:06:40

Trent

Re: Hmm, Something I'm Doing Wrong?

Well, what exactly is wrong?  What partitioning scheme did you (try to) apply?  Did it take effect?  What error messages are you getting?  I can't diagnose your problem unless you at least describe the symptoms.  Could be anything from a failing hard drive or a corrupt filesystem to a broken menu.lst.

I will say that if you left *everything* default, there is no reason to expect anything at all.  You *must* ensure that the config files are appropriately set up during the installation; Arch's installer won't do that for you.

#3 2009-10-05 21:47:56

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

At the moment, you've gone to the doctor and said "it hurts" which doesn't give the doctor a lot to go on...!

As Trent has said, we need more information, starting with *specific* error messages wink

#4 2009-10-07 11:03:06

Vamp898
Website

The installation log would be nice^^ maybe thats what is going on on TTY7

#5 2009-10-07 12:32:11

zowki
Website

Corrupted CD? This happens to me quite often. Try burning again at low speed and perform integrity checks.

How's my programming? Call 1-800-DEV-NULL

Board footer