You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-08 21:32:39

MadCat_X

Wrong charset used in smb4k

I've been having this problem since I installed Arch64 on my new laptop. If I mount a share in smb4k and there are folder names containing diacritics in that share, these characters are displayed as "?" in Dolphin and I cannot access such folders. Using another file manager or console gives me the same results. After some fooling around with smb.conf I managed to have folder names displayed properly, but I am still unable to access them. Dolphin displays them as empty and console returns "ls: unable to open <dirname>: directory or file does not exist" error. If I mount a share manually or with smbnetfs, everything works well. I think it is something wrong in Arch as smb4k works flawlessly on another gentoo-powered machine in the same network. Thanks for any help...

My smb.conf

[global]
workgroup = DOMA
server string = Samba Server
security = share
name resolve order = hosts wins bcast
restrict anonymous = no
domain master = no
dos charset = CP1250

#===================SHARE DEFINITION======================

[Share]
path = /home/madcat/Share/
read only = no
guest ok = yes
force user = madcat

[rFactor]
path = /media/Data/Hry/rFactor
guest ok = yes

My locales settings

LANG=cs_CZ.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="cs_CZ.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="cs_CZ.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="cs_CZ.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE=C
LC_MONETARY="cs_CZ.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="cs_CZ.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="cs_CZ.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="cs_CZ.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="cs_CZ.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="cs_CZ.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="cs_CZ.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="cs_CZ.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

#2 2009-10-08 22:17:48

urandom
Website

Re: Wrong charset used in smb4k

Try to add iocharset=utf8 to Settings->Configure Smb4k->Samba->Mounting->Additional options and remount.

#3 2009-10-08 22:58:04

MadCat_X

I tried that, but to no avail. I just tried to mount a share with diacritics in name and I found out that I cannot do that either on any machine in smb4k. Manual mount works fine.

#4 2009-10-08 23:41:35

MadCat_X

Now this is odd. I tried to play a bit with the "Client character set" in smb4k. I changed it from "default" to "iso-8859-2" and from now on I can access any folder in a share mounted with smb4k. When I changed this option back to "default", it remained working correctly, so the main issue seems to be solved. I still cannot mount a share with diacritics in its name, but I consider that a minor issue.

Board footer