You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-13 04:16:21

Stromblad

Resier failure last night

So last night I was rebooting and got a long string of reiser failures after gnome and X crashed...I could not do anything at all, had to press the reset button. I log back in and gnome is messed up, mounting devices that did not exist, giving me some stale nfs lock error when I tried to run gedit. At that point I though to reinstall gnome after deleting everything that had to do with it, which actually just made it worse and worse. I then logged in to kde which worked (kind of) and started backing up (or so I thought) what media I had on my home partition. Long story short, even though dolphin clearly had it all transferred (to a external hard drive), after unmounting and rebuilding the reiserfs partition fsck.reiser /dev/sda4 --rebuild-tree much of my media was gone...namely all my video. Thank god I never got to transferring all of it over or I would really have been hosed, in any case my question is this. Could it have been just bad luck? It happened *immediately* after I installed enligthenment (i wanted to try it out) then gnome got all screwy. Since I have garbage ati cards, I dont have much hope of playing games on linux...so I like using it for daily use and as a media server, my question is that is reiser too unstable to have all my media on, maybe I should switch to ext4? I dont have much experience with filesystems and I like the speed of reiser but if im about to start losing all my media, Ill definetely can it. any opinions welcome.

#2 2009-10-13 04:35:38

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Resier failure last night

which version of Reiser were you using?

reiserfs is pretty stable and I use it for my /var. reiserfs is good for large number of small files. But for videos and such, ext4 or xfs or jfs would be best.

The newer Reiser4 (i think thats what its called) was pretty unstable the last I checked it out. But things might have changed.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2009-10-13 16:21:22

dazealex

Re: Resier failure last night

ReiserFS is indeed very robust. I have been using it since 2007 without any issues in-spite of frequent power resets. I think you just had bad luck with it. And I am assuming you are not using ReiserFS4 as Inxsible also alluded to.

I know this doesn't help, but just a thought for the future -- if you can afford to, you may want to run some sort of a RAID setup, even if it is just RAID 5. I am running one with 4x500GB SATA drives in RAID 5 mode using mdadm -- rock solid.

Board footer