You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-14 21:02:21

deej

Opera Unite

Well, the Opera Crew have done it again - turn your browser into a server to instantly share files:

http://unite.opera.com//

Opera Unite is a powerful platform that turns your Web browser into a Web Server too. This means you can share content directly with friends without having to upload anything to a Web site. You can stream music, show photo galleries, share files and folders or even host your Web pages. It just takes a few simple clicks to set them up.

Use it myself, very good indeed !

Deej

#2 2009-10-14 21:29:29

Denacke

Re: Opera Unite

I don't know, I've been a long time opera user and I have this feeling they're going in the wrong direction. I know i won't be bothered by it if i don't want to use it but i prefer seeing work done on other areas. It tends to be very unstable with flash and other plugins, it's also being beaten by other browsers in speed.

Still, the built in mail client and thumbnail tabs placable on the left make it my default browser for now. Just hope they focus more on improving their current features instead of adding weird new ones. smile

Also on this opera unite thing, sad thing is that you have to have your computer up and running plus opera running to make those things work. I really fail to see many uses of this except temporary webspace for sharing, for which many other solutions already exist.

#3 2009-10-14 22:21:59

gog

torrent manager, download manager, irc client, mail client, now it's p2p?

mplayer and vim also suffer from feature crep, but at least they can pull it off and have every component as useful as the other. Who uses opera's torrent client? No one.

#4 2009-10-15 02:34:07

kwebb1

I really don't see this catching on. I mean how many normal users leave thier computers on and thier web browser up all time. If this was used to access a remote server then maybe i could understand. But i don't see the average user using this . They better hope it don't suck the memory when its not being used. Just my opinion.

Board footer