You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-16 04:47:51

alexandrite

Association Failures and Random Disconnects Over Wifi

I'm having some problems connecting to an unsecured, node-rich network with netcfg using an Intel 3945 ABG.

I'm trying to connect to a wireless network at school, but more often than not, I get "Wireless Association Failed" from netcfg.  Those times that I do connect, it the connection drops after a mere few seconds.  I figure it must be a problem with my configuration, but I don't know exactly what the problem is.

Just using the console hasn't proven any better.  Using wireless extensions, I can see that an AP is associated with my nic for at least a few seconds, then goes back to "Not Associated."  Using wpa_supplicant with no key management (just for managing roaming and reconnects), I can see it report an endless cycle of association and connection loss, repeated for all of the access points in range.

I don't have an iwlist to show, as I couldn't connect to the network to write a post while there, but from what I remember, I can say that there are multiple AP's for the network in range (at least 3), and there are multiple APs for two other ESSIDs also in range.  Several of the AP's are on the same channel, but I don't think any two on the same channel are using the same ESSID.

This is the profile I've been using:

CONNECTION="wireless"
DESCRIPTION="Wireless at WSU"
INTERFACE="wlan0"
ESSID="WSU Wireless"
QUIRKS=(prescan preessid)
IP="dhcp"

Windows users seem to have no problem connecting to the network, so I'm forced to conclude the problem lies somwhere with my configuration.  Any ideas?

Last edited by alexandrite (2009-10-16 04:54:48)

Board footer