You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-14 18:55:31

alvin_rxg

is it possible, networkmanager connects without login?

hi all,
before using Networkmanager-applet, i edited rc.conf to let my laptop auto connect with wlan without login.

eth0="dhcp"
wlan0="dhcp"
wlan_wlan0="wlan0 essid my-wlan"
INTERFACES=(wlan0 eth0)

since wlan in university needs wpa, i start to use networkmanager-applet. but it must be logged in, before it connects to wlan. it has networkmanager daemon, can't work like before?
i need it auto connects, because my wireless route is not good. once X logged out (and wlan disconnected) and login agin then cannot connect my wlan agin within several minutes. sad
i have tried what i can, and also readed arch wiki (the describe of "Automatically connect on boot" is tooo simple), but nothing works.

now i would glad to know, if it is possible, let networkmanager connects wlan without login?
or when logged out, the network is still connected? smile

thx

Last edited by alvin_rxg (2009-10-14 18:57:00)

real newbie

#2 2009-10-14 19:33:11

reed9

Re: is it possible, networkmanager connects without login?

Not sure about networkmanager, but wicd will.

#3 2009-10-14 21:22:35

rwd

alvin_rxg wrote:

hi all,
before using Networkmanager-applet, i edited rc.conf to let my laptop auto connect with wlan without login.

eth0="dhcp"
wlan0="dhcp"
wlan_wlan0="wlan0 essid my-wlan"
INTERFACES=(wlan0 eth0)

since wlan in university needs wpa, i start to use networkmanager-applet. but it must be logged in, before it connects to wlan. it has networkmanager daemon, can't work like before?
i need it auto connects, because my wireless route is not good. once X logged out (and wlan disconnected) and login agin then cannot connect my wlan agin within several minutes. sad
i have tried what i can, and also readed arch wiki (the describe of "Automatically connect on boot" is tooo simple), but nothing works.

now i would glad to know, if it is possible, let networkmanager connects wlan without login?
or when logged out, the network is still connected? smile

thx

You need to give some more details to get help.  'nothing works' can be anything. What exactly have you tried? Do you get error messages? Is anything in the logs?

#4 2009-10-15 10:29:27

alvin_rxg

rwd wrote:

You need to give some more details to get help.  'nothing works' can be anything. What exactly have you tried? Do you get error messages? Is anything in the logs?

ehhh, cannot get more information, because what i did is what archwiki said. and the information from the wiki is too simple. so i tried what i thought.
what i need is just networkmanager can connect the wlan when i logged out. because the wlan router is bad, cannot conncet agin within several minutes.

reed9 wrote:

OK, i will try it now.

real newbie

#5 2009-10-15 13:29:11

egon

Sometimes if the signal is spotty and my wifi fails to authenticate, It will ask me to enter my credentials again before I can connect.

#6 2009-10-15 16:37:03

Trent

You know you don't need networkmanager for WPA, right?  I have netcfg automatically connect to a WPA2 encrypted network at boot.

#7 2009-10-16 07:43:07

alvin_rxg

reed9 wrote:

have to say, it failed to connected to a hidden wlan...

egon wrote:

Sometimes if the signal is spotty and my wifi fails to authenticate, It will ask me to enter my credentials again before I can connect.

it never asked me about that. my wlan is hidden, no password, but mac filter.

Trent wrote:

You know you don't need networkmanager for WPA, right?  I have netcfg automatically connect to a WPA2 encrypted network at boot.

thx Trent, i will try netcfg when home.:D

real newbie

#8 2009-10-16 08:41:18

iphitus
Forum Fellow

alvin_rxg wrote:
egon wrote:

it never asked me about that. my wlan is hidden, no password, but mac filter.

You need to fix that. You effectively have zero security.

"hidden" isn't actually hidden. The network is still in clear view, and easily connected to. Hidden wifi is against the 802.11 specification which can cause connectivity issues. Mac filter is pretty useless too.

Setup WPA. All the tools support it and you'll have less trouble too.

Last edited by iphitus (2009-10-16 08:41:50)

#9 2009-10-16 17:27:19

zenlord
Website

iphitus wrote:

Mac filter is pretty useless too.

Really? I thought this was a pain to set up (adding a MAC-address for every NIC you want to grant access to your network), but that it was the best way to keep everyone out...

I do use wpa2 myself, but a MAC-filter is something I've recommended to some friends of mine...

#10 2009-10-17 14:16:12

rwd

zenlord wrote:
iphitus wrote:

Mac filter is pretty useless too.

Really? I thought this was a pain to set up (adding a MAC-address for every NIC you want to grant access to your network), but that it was the best way to keep everyone out...

I do use wpa2 myself, but a MAC-filter is something I've recommended to some friends of mine...

Mac addresses are transmitted in the open so anyone can detect them and then change the mac address of their own device. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_security

Board footer