You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-20 09:17:00

Shay

Random kernel panics?

Hello, I've managed to install ArchLinux succesfully, booted to the system and configured without any hassle.
I have 2 HDDs  - 1 IDE /dev/sdb and 1 SATA /dev/sda. On /dev/sdb11 i have installed ArchLinux ( no separate boot partition ). The bootloader is from my Ubuntu installation on /dev/sda8.

The problem is that whenever i reboot and try to start archlinux I get a kernel panic, system not being able to find /dev/sda11 at initramfs ( wait for 10s for  /dev/sda ) . The system freezes completely trying to kill init. I shutdown the PC all-together and when i try to boot-up archlinux everything works alright.

Unfortunately, now am I at work and can't check the contents of /etc/mkinitcpio.conf, but maybe one of you has a previous experience. If not, I will check tonight and see what's wrong.

Any ideas were I might have screwed up?

P.S. I didn't modify at all in the installation process /etc/mkinitcpio.conf

Edit: forgot to mention, the root partition is ext4.

Last edited by Shay (2009-10-20 09:27:13)

#2 2009-10-20 14:32:01

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: Random kernel panics?

Perhaps your system needs UUID for your drives to prevent the ID of the drive from changing at every boot or so.

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#3 2009-10-24 12:40:45

Shay

Re: Random kernel panics?

Yes you were right, setting UUID in GRUB's menu.lst solved the problem. Afterwards, it booted but the SATA drive was set to /dev/sda and the IDE to /dev/sdb ( viceversa as initially ) , so other partitions couldn't be mounted. Changed in /etc/fstab aswell and all worked alright.

I still have no idea how booting to XP and then rebooting to Arch influenced the mapping of devices for Arch. They kept changing between /dev/sda and /dev/sdb .

Thank you for your help though. smile

Last edited by Shay (2009-10-24 12:42:15)

Board footer