You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-26 17:36:21

anadyr

Speed on 2 computers

Hi, I have a strange problem:
I have a desktop and a laptop and a new internetconnection. When I use the desktop, I get downloads of up to about 3 Mbyte per second. However, if I change the same ethernet cable from the desktop on the laptop, I only get about 90 kbyte per second. I (obviously) want to solve this and get fast downloads on my laptop as well.
The desktop was just updated with pacman. The laptop needs a 545 MB downloads by pacman to get the latest software. As you can imagine, I'd like my network fast before I download that chunk of software...
For some reason, connecting the laptop through eth0 or through ra0 (wireless) does not make any difference; both are slow. The laptop is about 3 years old.

My question is: are there any network settings that I can use to speed up the internet? It seems logic that I should be able to make the network faster...

#2 2009-10-27 07:55:25

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Speed on 2 computers

Not sure on your internet speed questions, but couldn't you just copy the packages over from the desktop to the laptop? They're in /var/cache/pacman/pkg

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2009-10-27 09:02:08

hcjl

how are you measuring the speed? if pacman's speed is different, then adjust /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist on your laptop.

#4 2009-10-27 11:26:58

anadyr

That sounds like a good idea and as a plausible solution. I'll try that tonight.

Board footer